OverviewDouglas College Payroll Specialist Part Time in New Westminster, BC
Branch New Westminster BC CA
New Westminster, BC
As subject matter experts, must be able to provide training and support to employees and supervisors on payroll processes….
Reporting to the Manager, Payroll Services and Systems, the Payroll Specialist is responsible for ensuring accurate and timely processing of full-cycle payrolls and related reports within a highly technical HR/Payroll system. The Payroll Specialist oversees all facets of payroll processing, statutory remittances, benefit premium calculations, pension remittances, and year-end reporting while establishing priorities within strict mandated and multiple timelines.
1. Analyzes and verifies documentation submitted for payment of employees while adhering to strict timelines and ensuring compliance with legislated regulations, College policies and collective agreements. Detects, investigates, and resolves any errors/discrepancies in accordance with established payroll standards and collective agreements and advises both HR and Payroll managers of necessary modifications.
2. Calculates, processes, validates and generates payments to employees.
3. Provides professional payroll knowledge to administrators, supervisors, employees, internal and external stakeholders.
4. Performs other related duties.
Please see the Link to Full Position Profile section for the full job description.
To Be Successful in this Role You Will Need:
1. Completion of Payroll Compliance Practitioner (PCP) certificate through the Canadian Payroll Association and the completion of an accounting/business program at a post-secondary institution or the equivalent combination of education and experience. Must be an active member of the Canadian Payroll Association and maintain accreditation.
2. Three years of considerable progressive experience working in a high volume, complex, multi-union, computerized payroll environment.
3. In depth knowledge and understanding of workplace legislation affecting employee payroll including:
– Federal and provincial taxation
– Canada Labour Code
– Provincial employment standards
– Provincial Pension Benefits Standards Act
– Workers Compensation Act
– Employment insurance
– Garnishments and other third party agencies
– Freedom of Information & Protection of Privacy Act
4. Excellent analytical, organizational, multi-tasking and time management skills and be able to work under extreme time pressure, and meet strict deadlines
5. The ability to work independently with minimal supervision and able to apply sound judgment drawn from prior experiences, to recognize, analyze, and resolve issues or discrepancies.
6. The ability to perform complex payroll calculations with speed and accuracy and the ability to communicate this information to non-subject matter experts.
7. As subject matter experts, must be able to provide training and support to employees and supervisors on payroll processes.
8. The ability to collaborate with other departments to ensure accurate processing of employee’s remuneration and benefit coverage as well as to develop procedures.
9. In depth knowledge and understanding of benefits administered through different carriers, including calculating, remitting and reporting premiums to carriers.
10. Considerable experience using Excel, including use of pivot tables, and lookup functions; working knowledge of Word, including merging documents.
11. Proficiency in use of Banner or other ERP and reporting software. Must have sound knowledge and understanding of accounting systems and their interaction with payroll systems.
12. The ability to maintain sustained attention to detail in preparing, recording and checking payroll transactions.
13. Proven ability to safeguard payroll documentation and maintain confidentiality with respect to payroll information when communicating with internal and external stakeholders.
14. Good working knowledge of the English language (written and verbal).
15. The ability to write documentation to ensure compliance and consistent standards of practice.
16. Demonstrated ability to communicate respectfully in person, in writing or on the telephone with all College employees and external stakeholders.
17. The ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with all College employees and external stakeholders.
18. The ability to adapt and remain flexible in an ever-changing environment.
Link to Full Position Profile:
This is a regular part-time position. Regular hours of work are 7:30 am to 4:30 pm, three days per week. A modified work schedule may be available.
Grade or Pay Level:
S – Pay Level 13
$1,132.93 – $1,271.30
Quicklink for Posting:
End Date (if applicable):
Employment Type: Part Time
Location: New Westminster, BC, CA
Posted on: 2017-02-24