OverviewYMCA Ottawa Full Time Housing Support Worker Full Time in Ottawa, ON
Branch Ottawa ON CA
Full Time Housing Support Worker
Collaborate with Shelter Case Coordinators to provide effective service delivery. The Support Worker will work as part of the Housing Services Team that…
POSITION: Full Time Housing Support Worker
PLACEMENT: Commencing June 2016
SALARY: $36,700 per annum
As one of the largest charitable community service organizations in Canada, the YMCA-YWCA of the National Capital Region responds to critical social needs in the community and works to provide solutions. Serving more than 70,000 people across our region annually, we are committed to nurturing the potential of children, teens and young adults, promoting healthy living and fostering social responsibility within the community. This position requires a commitment to the Y mission and core values of responsibility, honesty, caring, and respect, which form the foundation of all Y programs and services.
NATURE AND SCOPE:
The Support Worker will work as part of the Housing Services Team that provides programs and services for those with Affordable / Social Housing needs including those served in the Supportive Housing, Emergency Family Shelter and Youth Housing programs.
• The Support Worker will provide information to individuals and agencies regarding eligibility for housing in the Y Housing Programs or general information about housing services offered by the YMCA-YWCA and in the community in person, by fax or by phone.
• Provide intake assessments, advocacy, support, referral, and crisis intervention to residents and clients, supporting them to maintain their housing. Security and administrative tasks are included in the work.
• The housing department operates 24 hours per day, seven days per week. This position covers the day shift in the Housing Office Monday to Friday, with some flexibility in covering schedule gaps.
• Review Shelter client (HIFIS) data entry and file information and correct any inaccuracies.
• Serve as a contact for City of Ottawa regarding referrals and Shelter clients
• Collaborate with Shelter Case Coordinators to provide effective service delivery
• Serve as a liaison contact for collateral agency outreach personnel
• Maintain current Housing Office forms and update as required
Maintain current resource information relevant to in-house client needs
• Provide comprehensive information exchange in support of effective case management to Housing Team personnel responsible for the TRY Women’s Supportive Housing and Second Stage Youth Housing Programs.
• Assist the Monthly Support Worker with intakes and provide client support to residents of the Monthly Supportive Housing Program. Provide coverage during absences of the Monthly Housing Support Worker.
• Monitor inventory of Housing Office supplies and ensure replenishment as required (food bank, toiletries, dish bin contents, infant furnishings).
• Provide orientation to new staff, mentor part time staff and supervise Housing Office placement students
COMMUNICATION: Communicates in a thorough, clear and timely manner and supports information sharing and goal achievement across the Association.
CONFLICT RESOLUTION: Facilitates appropriate and timely solutions to conflict.
PROBLEM SOLVING: Identifies an issue, gathers and processes relevant information, coming up with possible solutions, selecting appropriate responses, and implementing them.
DIVERSITY: Appreciates that people with different opinions, backgrounds and characteristics bring richness to the challenge or situation at hand.
INITIATIVE: Does the right thing at the right time without being asked.
SELF-MANAGEMENT: Works independently within prescribed parameters, can discern the relevance of issues and communicate them effectively to his/her supervisor.
• College or University degree in a related field
• Minimum 1 year experience in housing preferred/ previous emergency housing experience an asset
• Strong knowledge of community resources
• First Aid and CPR required
• Training in Suicide Intervention and Non-Violent Crisis Intervention an asset.
• Experience outside Canada will be recognized
• Clean Police Record Check, Vulnerable Sector version is required
• This position is bilingual essential
CLOSING DATE: May 29th 2016
All internal applicants must inform their supervisor of their intention to apply for the position. Applications must be submitted to the YMCA-YWCA of the National Capital Region, Human Resource Services, at [email protected]
Thank you for your interest. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
The YMCA-YWCA of the National Capital Region is committed to being an Equal Opportunity Employer. Please advise in advance if you require any accommodation during this process. We believe all people have the right to live free from discrimination or harassment of any kind.
We Build Strong Kids… Strong Families… Strong Communities.
Employment Type: Full Time
Location: Ottawa, ON, CA
Posted on: 2016-05-20