OverviewYMCA of Greater Vancouver Manager, Fitness Full Time in Surrey, BC
YMCA of Greater Vancouver
Branch Surrey BC CA
Minimum 5 years’ experience in fitness/health and wellness environments. Options for members of all abilities, wellness levels, and interest areas that…
The YMCA of Greater Vancouver is a charity dedicated to strengthening the foundations of
community, by nurturing the potential of children, teens & young adults, promoting healthy
lifestyles, fostering a sense of social responsibility and delivering lasting personal & social change.
We are building a community in which a generation of children and families reach their full
potential. Our values guide our decision-making and behavior – we do the right thing, put people
first, keep our promises and lead by example.
For over 125 years, we have been part of the community, a place where people of every age and
background find the support they need to grow in spirit, mind and body. One of the Lower
Mainland’s leading charities, the YMCA of Greater Vancouver provides services in health &
fitness, child care, camping, employment & community services to over 95,000 participants
Nature & Scope: As part of the YMCA Leadership Team, the Fitness Manager is responsible for delivering high
quality individual conditioning and group fitness programs at the membership branch as well as
collaborating on association-wide fitness initiatives under the leadership of the Association GM,
Fitness. In addition to ensuring service and program quality standards are being met and
exceeded, active participation in fundraising through our YMCA Strong Kids Campaign and
volunteer recruitment is also a requirement in this role. Flexibility to schedule work on evenings
and weekends will be necessary.
- Increasing total membership numbers by ensuring fitness volunteers and staff embrace the YMCA’s SAM
- Support the YMCA’s philanthropic work through delivery of the YMCA Strong Kids Campaign.
- Direct service delivery to members in both Group Fitness classes and on the Strength and Conditioning
floor as part of regular shifts.
- Ensure YMCA facilities are cared for and presented to members in accordance with SAM standards.
- Provide for our members a facility and culture that promotes opportunities for healthy living and social
responsibility, developing lasting personal and social change.
- With a focus on those new to fitness, grow the diverse offering of Group Fitness opportunities and
options for members of all abilities, wellness levels, and interest areas that encourage retention and
- Train, orient, support and supervise a team of staff dedicated to creating fitness opportunities to
established members and those new to fitness and the YMCA.
- Recruit, train, orient, support and supervise Group Fitness Volunteers.
- Model commitment and service excellence through building and strengthening relationships and
connections with members and volunteers.
- Ensure equipment is maintained, ensuring availability, safety, cleanliness, and orderly appearance.
- Ensure the delivery of high quality contract services as outlined in agreements with Fraser Health
Authority, the YMCA’s Community Branch and external groups.
- Work with Membership Team to co-deliver member retention and acquisition strategies.
- Participate in planning and delivery of the YMCA’s national Program Leadership Development System.
- Participate in task groups, special events and opportunities that further the Association mission, vision
and strategic initiatives and strengthen the culture of integration across departments, teams and
- Complete reports or administrative work as necessary.
- Post-Secondary education or degree in a related field.
- Group Fitness certification preferred or ability to obtain.
- Individual Conditioning certification preferred or ability to obtain.
- Demonstrated ability to work with adults and vulnerable populations.
- Minimum 3 years supervisory experience.
- Minimum 5 years’ experience in fitness/health and wellness environments.
- Demonstrated ability to build relationships and coach individuals further towards their goals.
- Able to work a flexible schedule including evenings and weekends.
- YMCA Trainer or Training Educator designation an asset.
- BCRPA or other Personal Training designations an asset.
- Computer proficient, including Class and Microsoft Office.
- Current Standard First Aid, CPR-C and AED certification required.
- Successful candidates will be required to provide a current and satisfactory Criminal Reference
Check/Vulnerable Sector Search issued no later than six (6) months preceding your start date
- 3 professional references.
Commitment to Organization and Values: Demonstrates and promotes a personal understanding of and
appreciation for mission, vision, strategic outcomes and values of the YMCA of Greater Vancouver.
Collaborative Leadership Skills: Ability to work and consult with diverse groups of people then take action.
Service Orientation: Deliberately identifies needs and wants of members as priority, and creates opportunities to
enhance each and every person’s YMCA experience.
Judgment: Ability to form an objective opinion, make a decision, and take action where appropriate.
Leadership: Guides, motivates and inspires self and others to take action to achieve desired outcomes
Teamwork: Ability to work effectively with others to achieve optimal collective results.
Communication: Ability to speak, write, listen, and secure information in a variety of settings
Outcomes Oriented: Ability to lead, manage, and achieve identified goals.
Internal applicants should inform their supervisor prior to application.
Please apply online using the following links:
‐ Complete online application using the following link:
Application deadline: April 4th, 2015
Thank you for your interest and application.
Due to the high volume of applications received, only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
Employment Type: Full Time
Location: Surrey, BC, CA
Posted on: 2015-03-23