OverviewWinnipeg Health Region Recreation Coordinator-Occupational Therapy-IPCU Part Time in Winnipeg, MB
Winnipeg Health Region
Branch Winnipeg MB CA
Recreation Coordinator-Occupational Therapy-IPCU
The successful candidate will be responsible for any service charges incurred. 1-2 years recent experience working with individuals/groups in a healthcare…
- Undergraduate degree in Recreation Management and Community Development or equivalent, with specialization in therapeutic recreation.
- Membership in Canadian Therapeutic Recreation Association and Recreation Connections Manitoba preferred.
- First Aid, Non Violent Crisis Intervention as required by the Program/Site.
- Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation (CPR) Training requirements for this position shall be in accordance with WRHA policy #20.20.210.
- 1-2 years recent experience working with individuals/groups in a healthcare environment preferred.
- Must have extensive knowledge of social, recreation and leisure programming and recreation resources in hospital and in the community.
- Ability to establish and maintain good interpersonal relationships.
- Must have excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to work cooperatively with other disciplines and demonstrate professional judgment and initiative.
- Must have personal maturity and the ability to accept responsibility for actions and decisions.
- Must demonstrate initiative, resourcefulness, creativity, sound judgment and problem solving skills in all areas of practice.
- Ability to organize and complete assignments with a minimum of supervision.
- Willingness to adapt to new concepts, techniques and best practice in the academic and clinical fields of therapeutic recreation and general healthcare knowledge (i.e. mental health, geriatric health, etc.).
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and interdependently.
- Computer literacy as appropriate to the setting.
- Preference will be given to candidates competent in an Aboriginal language and/or knowledgeable in Aboriginal customs, beliefs, and practices.
This position is subject to a Criminal Record Check, including Vulnerable Sector Search, an Adult Abuse Registry Check and a Child Abuse Registry Check. The successful candidate will be responsible for any service charges incurred.
Duties: As a member of the interdisciplinary team, the incumbent is responsible for assessing, planning, implementing, and evaluating therapeutic recreation programs for individuals experiencing developmental, cognitive, emotional, social, physical and/or coping difficulties through group and/or individual programs that include: Therapeutic recreation interventions to improve functional abilities, well-being and facilitate independence in positive leisure pursuits. Leisure education to enhance and promote life-long recreation skills and attitudes. Recreation participation to promote health and personal growth through leisure and recreation experiences. Community re-integration to provide assistance and support in removing physical and psychological barriers that impede participation in recreation programs and services offered in the community. The incumbent fosters professional practice and quality client care through the supervision of volunteers, continuing professional development, research, quality improvement and promotion of therapeutic recreation.
Physical Demands and Working Conditions: Must be in good physical and mental health. May encounter aggressive and/or agitated clients/visitors/staff. May be exposed to infectious diseases, blood and body fluids, toxic materials, noise, allergens, physical and emotional stress. May be occasionally required to work extended hours. May be required to work a variety of shifts including evenings and weekends.
Salary: Effective April 1, 2016 – $23.300, $24.209, $25.145, $26.135, $27.158, $28.354 MAHCP
Please note that an employee is not permitted to hold two or more EFT positions greater than 1.0 combined across the WRHA legal entity (Deer Lodge Centre, Grace Hospital, Health Sciences Centre, Middlechurch Home of Winnipeg, River Park Gardens, Victoria General Hospital, WRHA Corporate Programs, WRHA Community Health Services). Consider this prior to applying for positions, as Employees in this situation cannot be awarded an additional position that will put them over full-time (1.0 EFT).
Employment Type: Part Time
Location: Winnipeg, MB, CA
Posted on: 2017-02-12