OverviewWinnipeg Health Region Nutrition Aide Part Time in Winnipeg, MB
Winnipeg Health Region
Branch Winnipeg MB CA
Position# 20056033 Description: Under the direction of the Manager Support Services and general supervision of the Support Services Supervisor, the
Under the direction of the Manager Support Services and general supervision of the Support Services Supervisor, the Nutrition Aide performs a variety of activities, which contribute to the operation of Patient and Retail Food Services. Responsibilities include preparation, assembly and distribution of food items, maintaining a clean and safe environment through ware washing and daily sanitation practices, performing inventory control functions, requisitioning and transportation of food and supplies, merchandising and catering services.
Education: Grade X education, Manitoba standards required.
Current Food Handling Certificate Level 1.
Experience in health care or hospitality food services preferred.
Satisfactory employment record required.
Knowledge of basic nutrition and an understanding of special diets.
Knowledge of sanitation, hygiene and infection control standards.
Knowledge of relevant Workplace Safety and Health responsibilities and practices.
Abilities and Skills:
- Ability to express ideas and thoughts in English both verbally and in written format.
- Demonstrated effective verbal and written communication skills.
- Demonstrated application of safe work and food handling practices.
- Ability to prepare and distribute food accurately to tally requirements avoiding waste.
- Ability to organize and adjust to variable workloads or interruptions as required.
- Application of good customer service practices, ability to relate to people in a friendly and courteous manner.
- Ability to work with computer applications such as: Microsoft Office Word, Outlook (e-mail), and use of the internet.
- Ability to operate and care for required food service equipment.
- Ability to lift and store supplies up to twenty five (25) lbs.
- Ability to function effectively in stress related situations.
- Ability to work accurately following written and oral instructions.
- Ability to operate cash registers and handle cash.
- Ability to select appropriate communication methods pertinent to the situation.
- Ability to listen and comprehend effectively.
- Ability to organize workload and set priorities.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality.
- Ability to work safely without injury to self, to patients/residents, or to other staff.
- Ability to establish and maintain positive interpersonal relationships with patients/residents, family members and coworkers.
- Physical and mental health to fulfill the responsibilities of the position.
· Preparation of food products according to cafeteria, catering menu and production schedule requirements.
· Responsible for replenishing food displays and service of food items to customers.
· Distribution and pick up of patient meal trays and supplies to patient care units.
· Understanding and application of established procedures in the operation of rethermalization equipment.
· Perform inventory control function.
· Follow portion control in accordance with set standards.
· Apply established sanitation standards and food handling practices in all steps of food preparation and service.
· Uses all equipment and products in accordance with Nutrition Services procedures and adheres to safety and health regulations and safe work practices.
· Organization and adjustment of work schedule according to variable requests or interruptions.
· Participation in quality improvement activities including recording and completion of audits.
· Maintains records relating to usage, temperature and waste of food items served.
· Operation of cash register and application of cash handling procedures.
· Data entry for diet changes and menu selection using Diet Office CBORD computer application.
ORGANIZATIONAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES: · Provision of continuous quality service.
· Responsible for personal and professional growth and development.
· Maintains current knowledge of Disaster Plans and appropriate response to Emergency Codes (Emergency Public Address Announcements).
· Promotes achievement/maintenance of a clean and safe work environment.
· Utilizes routine practices (universal precautions).
· Uses equipment and materials safely and efficiently.
· Identifies and reports hazards in accordance with established guidelines.
· Handles hazardous and infectious waste properly.
· Meets attendance and punctuality guidelines and follows established policies if unable to report to work.
· Prolonged periods of time standing, and working in variable temperature range environments.
· The position requires walking, lifting, bending, reaching and pushing.
· Established safety procedures must be followed and personal protective equipment used to avoid workplace injury.
Impact of Error
· Inappropriate/insensitive communication, action or poor judgment may adversely affect care/service delivery, or negatively impact the facility’s reputation.
· Non-adherence to Centre policies and procedures may cause harm to individuals, self, equipment or property.
· The Nutrition Aide participates as a team member in the operation of the department performing related hospitality and food service functions. Establishes and maintains friendly, effective relationships with patients/residents, families, visitors, cafeteria and retail customers, volunteers, Centre staff and others as encountered in the performance of duties.
It is understood that the duties and responsibilities contained in this Position Description are representative of those necessary to carry out the functions of the position however they do not limit the incumbent from performing other related duties.
This position is subject to a Criminal Record Check (with Vulnerable Sector Search), Adult Abuse Registry Check and a Child Abuse Registry Check. The successful candidate will be responsible for any service charges incurred.
Employment Type: Part Time
Location: Winnipeg, MB, CA
Posted on: 2015-05-22