OverviewWinnipeg Health Region General Duty Respiratory Therapist, Respiratory Therapy Part Time in Winnipeg, MB
Winnipeg Health Region
Branch Winnipeg MB CA
General Duty Respiratory Therapist, Respiratory Therapy
Experience in dealing with patients with various respiratory conditions and at various levels of illness and disability….
- Successful completion of a recognized course at a school of Respiratory Therapy. Current license with the Manitoba Association of Registered Respiratory Therapists. Certification in Cardiopulmonary resuscitation – “Basic Rescue” level, minimum.
- Experience in dealing with patients with various respiratory conditions and at various levels of illness and disability. Experience in dealing with a geriatric population would be an asset
- Experience in instructing and demonstrating various aspects and techniques of respiratory therapy would be an asset.
- Knowledge of anatomy and basic physiology of the respiratory system, the fundamentals. Knowledge of current respiratory drugs and methods of administration for the provision of safe effective therapy.
- Knowledge of the operation, utilization and safe effective and appropriate application and maintenance of respiratory equipment and devices, in the care and management of patients with respiratory and related disorders.
- Knowledge of procedures and precautions necessary for the prevention of infection and for safe procurement of arterial blood samples, analyses of blood gases and their significance.
- Knowledge of utilization of medical gases in respiratory therapy and diagnostic procedures in the laboratory as well as the safety precautions necessary in handling of compressed gases.
- Ability to carry out diagnostic procedures, evaluate respiratory conditions, responses to drugs and therapy, application of special techniques and equipment, contributes to the management and setting of goals for patient care.
- Ability to communicate effectively orally and in writing. Ability to give instruction to patients, staff and students in regard to respiratory therapy and related equipment. Ability to deal with stressful situations.
- Empathy, discretion, alertness, thoroughness, integrity, courtesy, and reliability.
This position is subject to a Criminal Record Check with Vulnerable Sector Search, a Child Abuse Registry Check and Adult Abuse Registry Check. The successful candidate will be responsible for any service charges incurred.
DUTIES: Directly accountable to the Manager of Diagnostic and Respiratory Services and under the supervision of the Charge Respiratory Therapist, the Respiratory Therapist, functioning as a member of the interdisciplinary teams determines as well as ensures that optimum respiratory therapy is provided while adhering to the policies of Respiratory Services and Deer Lodge Centre. Assesses, determines and titrates the oxygen therapy being provided to patients /residents of Deer Lodge Centre; draws and analyses arterial blood gases at the Therapist’s discretion or on a doctor’s order; provides respiratory assessments, therapy and diagnostic testing to contracted Personal Care Homes. Conducts pulmonary function testing as ordered/ or as policy. As part of a team, performs tracheostomy changes as required. In-servicing as well as assessing outpatients ability to use home oxygen equipment, in-servicing of Deer Lodge Centre staff re respiratory care issues; performing maintenance and quality control procedures on diagnostic equipment; maintains and fills oxygen equipment, maintains patient charts/records as well as workload measurements; assumes delegated responsibilities in the absence of the Director.
SALARY: As per the MAHCP Collective Agreeement
Interviewed candidates may be called upon to participate in a skills assessment and/or to provide evidence of educational achievements.
Any application/resume received after the deadline closing date will be marked late and not included in the competition.
Please note that an employee is not permitted to hold two or more EFT positions greater than 1.0 combined across the WRHA legal entity (Deer Lodge Centre, Grace Hospital, Health Sciences Centre, Middlechurch Home of Winnipeg, River Park Gardens, Victoria General Hospital, WRHA Corporate Programs, WRHA Community Health Services). Consider this prior to applying for positions, as Employees in this situation cannot be awarded an additional position that will put them over full-time (1.0 EFT).
Employment Type: Part Time
Location: Winnipeg, MB, CA
Posted on: 2016-09-21