OverviewWinnipeg Health Region Communication Clerk – Adult Medical Clinic (Indefinite Term) Full Time in Winnipeg, MB
Winnipeg Health Region
Branch Winnipeg MB CA
Communication Clerk – Adult Medical Clinic (Indefinite Term)
Performs clerical duties for the Clinic . Continues own learning through utilization of relevant available opportunities or resources….
Position # 20064182
ALL VGH EMPLOYEES REFLECT OUR HOSPITAL’S PHILOSOPHY BY CONTINUOUSLY PROVIDING QUALITY SERVICE/CARE.
- Completion of Grade XII required.
- Completion of recognized Unit Clerk Course required.
- Previous communication clerk experience required.
- Previous experience in an outpatient setting preferred.
- Ability to effectively:
a) relate on an interpersonal basis with others
b) work under stressful conditions
c) retain data on a confidential basis is required.
- Ability to work with minimal supervision in a fast paced and changing environment
- Excellent command of the English language (both oral and written).
- Working knowledge of medical terminology required
- Ability to operate information technology equipment as required, e.g. fax, photocopier, computer, etc..
- Demonstrated abilities in word processing, database and spreadsheets (specifically Microsoft Office) required.
- A minimum of 30-50 wpm typing/Keyboarding required on a hospital administered test.
- Ability to complete the position on a regular basis.
- Previous experience working with electronic medical records preferred.
Performs a variety of clerical and receptionist duties using the Electronic Medical Record which include scheduling patients appointments, maintaining patient care records, filing, processing physician’s orders, answering the telephone and relaying messages, recording statistics, ordering supplies, planning ahead for smooth and efficient clinic operations, and assisting with non-nursing functions related to patient care. The clerk must be able to work effectively with minimal supervision in a fast paced and customer service oriented environment.
- Works in a collaborative, co-operative manner with physicians and staff in the clinic, contributing to effective team functioning.
- Receives and welcomes patients and families, daily, in a mature, professional and sensitive manner.
- Contacts other hospital departments, other health care facilities, outside agencies, and physician’s offices as directed.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Acts as receptionist for the Medical Clinic .
- Greets and directs patients and staff members to the appropriate person or area.
- Answers telephone call, relays messages and initiates appropriate action.
- Ensures the general security of the area
Performs clerical duties for the Clinic .
- Schedules follow up patient appointments, utilizing computerized software..
- Arranges return appointments for outpatients, providing necessary supplies/information as appropriate if Lab tests are required.
- Obtains Addressographs from Patient Registration on new patients and initiates the medical record.
- Stamps all necessary forms with patients’ identification.
- Transcribes physicians’ orders as required.
- Initiates requisitions, as per orders, for routine and special tests.
- Arranges consultations and/or appointments with appropriate physicians and/or departments inside or outside the Hospital.
- Arranges for patient transportation, if appropriate.
- Collects and distributes mail for the clinic.
- Delivers specimens to the appropriate department as requested.
- Manages dissemination of information (eg. Fax, photo copies, phone, email) in accordance with Hospital policy, as requested.
- Generates a list of clinic visits and provides these to Health Records in a timely manner
- Obtains patient records from and returns them to Health Records.
- Maintains patient record in order according to established protocols. Files test results and progress notes following review by the Registered Nurse and/or physician.
- Keeps policy and procedure manuals up to date by filing approved updated policies/procedures in the appropriate manuals.
- Develops and maintains spread sheets and database to analyze and track various clinic activities.
Maintain Clinic supplies .
- Initiates the ordering of stationery and general supplies weekly as necessary.
- Checks and stores all stationery supplies received.
- Orders medical/diagnostic supplies as directed.
- Keeps supply cupboards/shelves neat and orderly.
- May complete requisitions for equipment repairs upon request.
Assists with patient care activities.
- Records patient weight on the patient record.
- May direct/escort ambulatory patients into examination rooms.
- Continues own learning through utilization of relevant available opportunities or resources.
- Accept and work within the framework of the Hospital’s philosophy, objectives and policies.
- Adheres to all safety and health regulations and demonstrates safe work practices.
- Performs other related duties as required.
Please note that an employee is not permitted to hold two or more EFT positions greater than 1.0 combined across the WRHA legal entity (Deer Lodge Centre, Grace Hospital, Health Sciences Centre, Middlechurch Home of Winnipeg, River Park Gardens, Victoria General Hospital, WRHA Corporate Programs, WRHA Community Health Services). Consider this prior to applying for positions, as Employees in this situation cannot be awarded an additional position that will put them over full-time (1.0 EFT).
This position is subject to a Criminal Record Check, Child Abuse Check and an Adult Abuse Registry Check (valid within 6 months of issue). The successful candidate will be responsible for any service charges incurred.
Note: This job description is representative and should not be construed as being all inclusive.
Employment Type: Full Time
Location: Winnipeg, MB, CA
Posted on: 2016-09-21