Employment Type: Full Time
Posted on: 2017-11-14
Williams Engineering Canada Inc. Intermediate Building Science Technologist Full Time in Calgary, AB
Williams Engineering Canada Inc.
Branch Calgary AB CA
Intermediate Building Science Technologist
Consulting or construction:. Working knowledge of local building codes and standards. Transfer of heat, air and moisture through a building envelope….
Reports to: Team Lead or Engineering Manager
Based at: Calgary Office
Position Purpose: Working closely with the Engineering Manager, acting as PM and/or tech lead on various projects, and maintaining the technical competence and production requirements of the projects. Provides exceptional customer service and coordination assistance with internal and external project partners (consultants, contractors, etc.).
Responsibilities and Duties
- Conduct site work and coordination on New Construction, Investigation/Evaluation, and Restoration projects.
- Write addendums and reports that do not require significant editing
- Ability to coordinate with all service lines, extract and relay relevant information.
- Working knowledge of local building codes and standards.
- Participate in preparation of fee letters as requested by the project or engineering manager.
- Operate independently on routine projects.
- Coordinate with all service lines, extract and relay relevant information.
- Provide peer review and mark-ups of reports and drawings for junior staff.
- Provide guidance and leadership to junior staff, this may include reviewing drawings and ensuring standards are met.
- Contribute to maintaining and improving quality control.
- Share expertise with other offices.
Qualifications and Skills
- Typically a graduate of a 1-2 year technical certificate or diploma program in Civil, Architectural or Construction Technology
- 4 – 6 years of experience
- C.E.T. or A.T. designation
- May be working towards P.Tech or P.L. (Eng). designation
- Must have valid class 5 drivers license
- Excellent interpersonal skills; a person who listens well, respects diversity of opinions and has an open, clear and succinct communication style.
- Application knowledge of WEC systems and programs (including Gnosis, Vision, Career Path, MS Office, discipline specific drafting/design software, etc.)
- maintain a working knowledge of budgets.
- Under supervision of a professional engineer, prepare technical design drawings, specifications and/or recommendations for assigned projects:
- Employees are required to adhere to the company and client safety policies and practices in effect at any given time.
- Ability to write documents clearly, succinctly, and concisely
- Have a sound technical working knowledge of the following:
- residential window systems
- commercial window systems
- insulation materials
- high and low slope roofing systems
- exterior cladding systems (metal/composite panels, EIFS, stucco, siding, masonry)
- below grade waterproofing and water management systems
- material interactions and compatibilities
- energy efficiency and sustainable designs
- a good understanding of energy modelling, its uses and limitations
- transfer of heat, air and moisture through a building envelope
- strong understanding of psychrometrics
- ability to calculate construction R-values (U-values), and determine location of dew point in wall and roofing sections
- good working knowledge of building envelope and material testing equipment
- good understanding of building envelope drawings and details
- able to identify design/construction/project risks
Job Type: Full-time
- High school or equivalent
- consulting or construction: 4 years