OverviewWestJet Intermediate Corporate Accountant 8 month term/ part time Part Time in Calgary, AB
Branch Calgary AB CA
Intermediate Corporate Accountant 8 month term/ part time
Professional accounting designation preferred (CPA, CMA, CA, CGA). Corporate Accounting Support. At WestJet, the safety and security of our people and our…
Looking for a great place to work? A place where an award-winning culture means empowerment, teamwork and a passion for what you do? Then think WestJet. It’s a great place to land.
WestJet is an organization recognized by its delivery of a remarkable guest experience resulting in us achieving over $3B in sales. In order for our best-in-class airline to be this successful, we require the skills and talents of professionals like you to ensure our ongoing growth. In an industry that is dominated by legacy competitors, you have the opportunity to build your career with an organization driven by progressive strategies, leadership and practices. If you are looking to break out of the status quo by joining a company with a strong growth plan, which consistently ranks as one of the most profitable airlines in the world, and which has a vision to be a top five international airline, WestJet is the place for you!
Intermediate Accountant– Corporate Accounting 8 month term/ part time
Reporting to the Manager- Corporate Accounting, this is a part-time, 8 month term position providing accounting support for the Corporate Accounting team with a focus on the month end close and payroll processes. As a part-time role, there is an expectation of a minimum 25-32 hours weekly with an increase at peak periods to meet work volumes (e.g. month-end and special project deadlines).
- Assist the payroll accountant to ensure accuracy and completeness of payroll accounting entries. Tasks include posting journal entries, preparing monthly accruals, reconciling to the payroll system, completing balance sheet reconciliations and investigating anomalies to expected results
- Support the payroll department with internal controls (C-SOx) and drive process improvements through proactive identification, implementation and the maintenance of documentation
- Prepare compensation reports for note disclosure in the quarterly financial statements
- Update & maintain accurate job documentation including procedure manuals and reference guides
- Generate monthly reporting information for distribution to business partners
- Partner with other members of finance to provide ad-hoc analysis on payroll costs and FTE
- Participate in the integration of the payroll and accounting system through preparation of accounting instructions in JD Edwards and testing for accounting impact of all new processes
Corporate Accounting Support
- Facilitate month-end close process in JD Edwards and create timely and accurate internal financial statements
- Prepare Profit Share and Owners’ Performance Awards entries
- Prepare quarterly contractual commitments note disclosure
- Proactively update and communicate month-end close calendar
- Assist with queries related to JD Edwards mapping and internal/external reporting process changes
- Bachelor’s degree in Business (Accounting/Finance) or related field
- Professional accounting designation preferred (CPA, CMA, CA, CGA)
- 3-5 years of experience in an accounting or financial analysis role
- Proficiency in MS Excel required and JD Edwards experience an asset
- Attention to detail, organized and thorough, with a desire for continuous improvement
- Ability to handle pressure and meet tight timelines in an environment with a high volume of activity
- Possess strong communication skills to provide guidance and/or instruction to peers in the organization
- Ability to maintain a high level of confidentiality is critical
We would like to thank all applicants in advance for their interest in WestJet. We believe in enriching the lives of everyone in WestJet’s world and encourage applications from all qualified individuals. Our ongoing efforts toward evolving diversity and inclusion will continue to be the way we do business every day. As owners, we believe in celebrating everyone’s unique skills, perspectives and experiences. WestJet is committed to inclusiveness, equity and accessibility. We encourage all qualified candidates to apply.
If you inspire greater creativity and innovation towards reaching new altitudes and meet the qualifications for the position in which you are interested, we welcome you to complete an online application. WestJet is a great place to land – powered by Talent and Growth.
At WestJet, the safety and security of our people and our guests is a core value and at the heart of what we do. As safety and security is a shared responsibility, it is expected that you will utilize safe work practices to ensure your well-being and the safety of others.
Employment Type: Part Time
Location: Calgary, AB, CA
Posted on: 2016-07-07