OverviewWestjet Airlines Director – Accounting 14 Month Term Temporary in Calgary, AB
Branch Calgary AB CA
Director – Accounting 14 Month Term
Reporting to the Vice President, Controller & Supply Chain, this role has overall responsibility for accounting functions at WestJet including financial…
Looking for a great place to work? A place where an award-winning culture means empowerment, teamwork and a passion for what you do? Then think WestJet. It’s a great place to land.
WestJet is an organization recognized by its delivery of a remarkable guest experience resulting in us achieving over $3B in sales. In order for our best-in-class airline to be this successful, we require the skills and talents of professionals like you to ensure our ongoing growth. In an industry that is dominated by legacy competitors, you have the opportunity to build your career with an organization driven by progressive strategies, leadership and practices. If you are looking to break out of the status quo by joining a company with a strong growth plan, which consistently ranks as one of the most profitable airlines in the world, and which has a vision to be a top five international airline, WestJet is the place for you!
Director, Accounting (14 month term)
Purpose: Reporting to the Vice President, Controller & Supply Chain, this role has overall responsibility for accounting functions at WestJet including financial reporting, internal controls, revenue accounting and transactional processing.
This purpose will be met by managing a team of +50 WestJetters, including four direct reports who form the External Reporting & Internal Controls, Revenue Accounting and Accounting Services teams.
External Reporting & Internal Controls
- Responsible for all external financial documents including financial statements, MD&A and AIF
- Lead the technical accounting research for accounting issues identified throughout WestJet
- Accountable for complex accounting including hedge accounting, stock-based comp among other areas
- Main liaison with external auditors
- Manage WestJet’s Sarbanes-Oxley CEO and CFO certification process including coordination of meetings, checklists and communication of findings
- Develop, issue and maintain Finance policies, procedures and guidance
- Responsible for all facets of WestJet’s accurate revenue accounting treatment for guest revenues, vacation packages, partnership income, charter, ancillary and other revenue
- Responsible for the accurate billings of WestJet’s codeshare and interline agreements
- Manage WestJet’s externally outsourced revenue accounting provider (team of ~30 located in Dubai)
- Owner of the revenue accounting software systems
- Integral part of the WestJet cross functional Project and Airline Partnership teams ensuring Finance requirements are incorporated into system development and contracted terms
- Responsible for centralized accounting functions including monthly consolidations and G/L maintenance
- Provide finance support to WestJet’s Payroll department
- Manage teams responsible for the accurate and timely payments at WestJet:
- WestJet Account Payables & Receivable
- WestJet Vacations Accounts Payable
- Travel Agency and Fare Audit Services
- Owner of the JDE financial modules, and travel agency partner base commission systems
- Ensure teams have clearly defined goals and measures to track success
- Challenge and coach team members to grow and develop, and create an environment where continuous learning is expected
- Constantly strive to improve teams processes, gain efficiencies and drive value, including regularly reviewing work streams as well as division of responsibilities to ensure that the work that is performed is relevant and level of effort and focus is appropriate
- University Degree and Accounting Designation required
- Minimum 7-10 years of post-qualification experience, including the last 5 in a management role
- Strong technical accounting background
- Past experience in an airline or transportation industry would be an asset
- Proven leadership capabilities for developing and coaching a team of professionals
- Strong communication skills to provide guidance and/or instruction to peers in the organization
- Confident in presenting financial information to senior levels of management
- Attention to detail, organized and thorough, with a desire for continuous improvement
- Ability to handle pressure and meet tight timelines in an environment with a high volume of activity
We would like to thank all applicants in advance for their interest in WestJet. We believe in enriching the lives of everyone in WestJet’s world and encourage applications from all qualified individuals. If you inspire greater creativity and innovation towards reaching new altitudes and meet the qualifications for the position in which you are interested, we welcome you to complete an online application. WestJet is a great place to land – powered by Talent and Growth.
At WestJet, the safety and security of our people and our guests is a core value and at the heart of what we do. As safety and security is a shared responsibility, it is expected that you will utilize safe work practices to ensure your well-being and the safety of others.
Employment Type: Temporary
Location: Calgary, AB, CA
Posted on: 2015-08-17