OverviewWestern University Programmer/Analyst Contract in London, ON
Branch London ON CA
Critical thinking and discernment to assess and scope areas for improvement and an ability to offer creative solutions….
Since 1878, Western University has been committed to serving our communities through the pursuit of academic excellence and by providing students, faculty, and community members with life-long opportunities for intellectual, social, and cultural growth. We seek excellent students, faculty, and staff to join us in what has become known as the “Western Experience” – an opportunity to contribute to a better world through the development of new knowledge, new abilities, new connections, and new ways to make a difference.
The Division of Information Technology Services (ITS) is the central IT department of Western. We are committed to providing high-quality, cost-effective technology solutions and services to the campus community in support of the teaching and research missions of the University. ITS works collaboratively with other unit IT groups to expand the use of our central solutions and services where appropriate.
The Applications Development Team is a team within ITS delivering custom developed applications on the Java platform. These applications enable enterprise services to be delivered to the Western community. We strive for continuous improvement of quality, efficiency and value to provide the best solutions to students, faculty and staff.
The Programmer/Analyst will work with various customers to define, develop, test, analyze, and maintain software applications that address the University’s strategic needs. The incumbent will also provide first and second level support for many of these applications. In addition, the Programmer/Analyst will further the software development practices of the Applications Development Team.
– College diploma in an information technology field or a university degree with a minor in an information technology field
– University degree in Computer Science or equivalent is preferred
– Certifications in software development industry (CSSLP, etc.) is preferred
– Relational database and operating systems experience with SQL Server, MySQL, Oracle
– Experience with application development technologies described in the Western ITS Technology Environment document (http://www.uwo.ca/its/services/WITE.pdf) is preferred
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
– Understanding of coding methods and best practices
– Understanding of platforms such as desktop, web, and mobile
– Working knowledge of current Internet technologies, including HTML and CSS including responsive web
– Theoretical knowledge of developing test cases and test plans
– Ability to write clear, concise procedural documentation
– Ability to effectively communicate (orally and in writing) and participate in business discussions
– Explains the immediate context of the situation, asks questions with follow-ups, and solicits advice prior to taking action
– Ability and willingness to stay abreast of technological developments
– Demonstrated commitment to ongoing learning and professional development
– Demonstrated ability to learn from mistakes and successes
– Critical thinking and discernment to assess and scope areas for improvement and an ability to offer creative solutions
– Able to identify areas where new insights might improve current processes
– Applies attention to detail to routine tasks defined in formal, written procedures and oral instructions
– Takes initiative to ensure that outcomes meet internal and external customer requirements
– Adaptable and receptive to change
– Able to work independently on tasks after appropriate training and with guidance
– Able to make day-to-day decisions based on established guidelines
– Asks questions and gathers information prior to taking on new tasks
– Successfully manages multiple priorities
– Maintains an organized and effective personal work environment
– Ability to prepare and make small presentations to colleagues and clients
– Investigates defined issues with uncertain cause
– Ability to perform duties in a professional and courteous manner and produce high quality work while meeting deadlines
– Follows project management best practices as defined by the unit
– Maintains and fosters relationships within, across, and external to organizational boundaries
Interested applicants are asked to visit: www.workingatwestern.uwo.ca to apply online to job reference 8358, by midnight on December 11 th , 2016.
The University invites applications from all qualified individuals. Western is committed to employment equity and diversity in the workplace and welcomes applications from women, members of racialized groups/visible minorities, Aboriginal persons, persons with disabilities, persons of any sexual orientation, and persons of any gender identity or gender expression.
Accommodations are available for applicants with disabilities throughout the recruitment process. If you require accommodations for interviews or other meetings, please contact Human Resources at [email protected] or phone 519-661-2194.
Employment Type: Freelance
Location: London, ON, CA
Posted on: 2016-12-05