OverviewVancouver Island Health Authority Regional Environmental Health Consultant, Communicable Disease Full Time in Victoria, BC
Vancouver Island Health Authority
Branch Victoria BC CA
Regional Environmental Health Consultant, Communicable Disease
Reporting to the Regional Manager Health Protection and Environmental Health Services within the Vancouver Island Health Authority (VIHA) and working as a part…
In accordance with the Vision, Purpose, and Values, and strategic direction of the Vancouver Island Health Authority(Island Health) patient and staff safety is a priority and a responsibility shared by everyone; as such, the requirement to continuously improve quality and safety is inherent in all aspects of this position.
Reporting to the Regional Manager Health Protection and Environmental Health Services within the Vancouver Island Health Authority (VIHA) and working as a part of an interdisciplinary team, the Communicable Disease Consultant performs a variety of duties related to the promotion and enforcement of recognized enteric, zoonotic, vectorborne and environmental communicable disease public health standards and related bylaws and regulations within VIHA. Responsibilities include being the primary contact for all matters relating to communicable disease investigations, advising Environmental Health Officers on major communicable disease matters, participating on committees, assisting staff and community groups on the application of communicable disease policies, participating in research studies and managing in consultation with others, the coordination of major outbreak investigations. Supervises staff, ensuring effective and efficient standards of service proved.
A. Education, Training and Experience
Bachelor’s Degree in Environmental Health or equivalent recognized by the Board of Certification, Canadian Institute of Public Health Inspectors. Evidence of specialized education, training and experience in areas focusing on epidemiology, infectious and communicable diseases, statistical methods and applied research, Certificate in Public Health Inspection (Canada). Eligible for registration in the Canadian Institute of Public Health Inspectors, BC Branch. Valid BC Driver’s Licence.
Five (5) years of recent related experience including three (3) years recent related experience focusing on Communicable disease control.
B. Skills and Abilities
• Ability to use epidemiological software such as Epinfo.
• Demonstrated proficiency in the application of word-processing software programs including database management and graphics presentation.
• Ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing.
• Ability to work independently, organize workload and establish priorities.
• Demonstrated working knowledge of research methodology and analysis.
• Ability to secure facts through investigation, inspection and surveys.
• Ability to develop policy and recommend changes and revisions in programs, bylaws and regulations and write comprehensive reports.
• Ability to speak in public, make presentations and address community groups.
• Physical ability to perform the duties of the position.
• Ability to operate related equipment.
Employment Type: Full Time
Location: Victoria, BC, CA
Posted on: 2015-01-24