OverviewVancouver Community Network (VCN | webteam) – Web Developer and Programmer Internship in Vancouver, BC
The Vancouver Community Network
Branch Vancouver BC CA
Vancouver Community Network (VCN | webteam) – Web Developer and Programmer Internship
during planning process, including the need for appropriate human, time and financial resources where needed • Intermediate proficiency or understanding of…
The Vancouver Community Network owns, operates and promotes a free, publicly accessible, non-commercial, community computer utility in the Lower Mainland of BC which provides a public space on the Internet.
The VCN | webteam is searching for a talented and responsible web developer for developing innovative, modern and practical web-based tools for progressive online not-for-profits who take pride in community building. Programming, graphic design and database administration skills and knowledge are all solid assets you can bring to this position.
Youth must be between the ages of 15 to 30 (inclusive).
Youth must be a Canadian citizen, or a permanent resident, or legally entitled to work in Canada.
Priority will be given to first-time applicants.
Not eligible are persons who are family members of the intern host organization.
Youth cannot collect Employment Insurance benefits during their internship.
- Work closely with Managers and Development Team to develop and deliver projects in a timely manner
- Produce project estimates during planning process, including the need for appropriate human, time and financial resources where needed
- Intermediate proficiency or understanding of graphic design tools and equivalent web design applications
- Develop on WordPress (or other similar PHP/MYSQL based CMS) templates; customize themes and find useful plug ins when and where needed to deliver client requirements
- Convert raw images and layouts from graphic designer into CSS/XHTML themes
- Interest in emerging technologies or applications that will allow the webteam to integrate these new solutions into regular operations and activities
QUALIFICATIONS AND SKILLS:
- Working on or have a Degree in computer science or a related field or work/project experience
- Fluency and/or working knowledge in Python and SQL, as well as Django and jQuery are a definite plus
- Ability to hand code from scratch is a huge asset
- GIT and basic knowledge of Unix commands via SSH is a strong asset
- Experience using extensible web authoring tools
- Experience developing and implementing open source software projects
- Knowledge of mobile web-application and associated tools
- Self-starter with strong self-management skills
- Ability to organize and manage multiple priorities and projects on-the-go
HOURS: 35 hours/week
SALARY: TBA (min. $12/h)
INTERNSHIP DURATION: 420 hours.
Internship provided via the Vancouver Community Network Youth Internships program and funded by HSRDC and Industry Canada.
Read about the experiences of former Vancouver Community Network interns in Y•ID , our online intern magazine: http://yid.vcn.bc.ca/
Employment Type: Internship
Location: Vancouver, BC, CA
Posted on: 2014-09-13