OverviewVancouver Coastal Health Supervisor – Patient Flow, Access and Operations Temporary in North Vancouver, BC
Vancouver Coastal Health
Branch North Vancouver BC CA
Supervisor – Patient Flow, Access and Operations
North Vancouver, BC
Coordinates work activities to ensure an efficient and high standard of care and effective utilization of client care resources to meet operational needs….
Administrates/oversees the provision of clinical care and provides supervision, leadership and guidance to designated staff and team professionals to achieve excellence in client care. Oversees patient flow and access on a 24/7 basis to ensure timely and appropriate patient placement from one care level to another. Works in conjunction with the Manager to identify and alleviate barriers to effective patient flow and provision of care. Coordinates work activities to ensure an efficient and high standard of care and effective utilization of client care resources to meet operational needs.
Oversees and provides supervision to designated staff and team professionals including continuous communications, conflict resolution, performance recognition, coaching, performance management, safe work practices, workload and staffing issues. Conducts Attendance Wellness Promotion (AWP), Respectful Workplace, accommodation and other meetings in conjunction with an HR Advisor. Recruits, hires, selects, mentors and retains staff.
During evenings, nights, and weekends, deals with behavioural or clinical issues such as substance issues, clinical performance, sleeping more than 30 minutes on night shift, as they arise, by having a conversation with the employee to assess whether the employee is safe and competent to continue work or needs to be sent home during the shift. Follows up with Manager and HR Advisor promptly to review the next steps in the investigation process.
Practices within the standards of professional practice and code of ethics as outlined by the College of Registered Nurses of British Columbia (CRNBC).
Education & Experience
- Current practicing registration with the College of Registered Nurses of British Columbia (CRNBC) is required.
- Baccalaureate in Nursing, supplemented with leadership and business management courses.
- Five (5) years’ recent clinical experience including one year of experience in bed utilization and/or two (2) years’ of progressive leadership experience in a supervisory and/or administrative capacity in an acute care setting or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
- Completion of post basic specialty nursing certificate/program may be required.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Demonstrated critical ability to function as a strong team leader, motivator, coach/mentor and team member within a complex multidisciplinary setting.
- Demonstrates a high level of clinical and performance management acumen.
- Demonstrated ability to continuously communicate effectively and strategically with colleagues, physicians and health care staff, both one-on-one and in groups.
- Demonstrated ability to provide clinical and administrative supervision and consultation.
- Utilizes strong critical thinking and problem solving skills when making decisions, resolving issues/conflict.
- Demonstrated listening and information seeking skills that promote open and direct communication and lead to a cooperative approach to problem solving.
- Demonstrated ability to plan, set priorities, organize work and meet deadlines.
- Comprehensive knowledge of various health care disciplines and their role within health care.
- Demonstrated strong facilitation and team building skills and ability work both independently and collaboratively.
- Demonstrated ability to model and foster a positive, collaborative and respectful team working environment.
- Demonstrated strong ability to manage and deal effectively with, and guide others in, the resolution of conflict issues.
- Demonstrated ability to adjust to new or unexpected events.
- Demonstrated systems analysis capability.
- Ability to maintain a high level of professional confidentiality.
- Demonstrated knowledge of basic research principles and practices.
- Demonstrated ability to operate related equipment.
- Physical ability to perform the duties of the position.
- Demonstrated skill in CPR techniques and Advanced Cardiac Life Support techniques.
- Advanced computer literacy to operate a computerized client care information system, bed management technology and word processing, spreadsheet, databases, Internet and e-mail software.
The hours of work including days off and work area may be subject to change consistent with operational requirements and the provision of the Collective Agreement and applicable statutes.
Only short-listed applicants will be contacted for this posting.
***Employees of VCH must apply via the Internal Application Process . Refer to the staffpostings.vch.ca site for How to Apply instructions. Current VCH employees who apply to this posting using this external site will be considered as an external candidate. Seniority will not apply.***
Employment Type: Temporary
Location: North Vancouver, BC, CA
Posted on: 2016-12-07