University of Winnipeg Electronic Technologist Full Time in Winnipeg, MB
University of Winnipeg
Branch Winnipeg MB CA
Audio systems, video systems, projection and presentation systems. Good working knowledge PC hardware, software, operating systems and IP based networking…
- Provides technical support for all audio and visual systems, and presentation and collaborative technologies installed throughout the campus for teaching, learning, administrative and research purposes, with a focus on classroom technologies.
- Plans, installs, configures and programs, supports, performs preventative maintenance and repairs (to the component level) on a broad range of equipment that includes: audio systems, video systems, projection and presentation systems.
- Provides first level support for the campus wide video surveillance systems and alarm systems.
- Installs and configures surveillance and alarm system hardware, configuration of system software.
- Designs, configures and installs integrated or stand-alone audio and/or video systems in all areas of the University, and trains users on the safe and efficient operation of these systems.
- Creates the required programming and coding for a range of digital room control systems, audio and video control systems and mixers, and complex matrix switchers.
- Evaluates new and existing audio and visual technologies and equipment, teaching and learning technologies, and presentation and collaboration systems, to determine their suitability for use in the University environment.
- Analyzes user or institutional requirements and recommends solutions to meet these requirements.
- Handles complex tasks and acts as team leader on small and medium sized projects within his/her technical domain, and as such will be involved in leading, planning, scheduling and coordinating the activities of other department staff, support staff from outside the department, and equipment vendors and suppliers.
- Creates and maintains technical documentation such as equipment installation schedules, records and details, wiring diagrams and riser drawings, equipment preventative maintenance files and records, and other documentation as required.
- Other Duties as assigned.
- Completion of a 1 year Certificate or a 2 year Diploma in a related discipline (eg. Electronic Technology) from a recognized institution.
- Minimum 4 years directly related experience with a thorough knowledge and understanding of electronics and audio visual systems.
- Must have, or be qualified to obtain the Limited Specialized Trade License – class M as per Provincial Government regulations.
- Trained, skilled and experienced in audio and video technology, PC and networking technologies, and custom programming & coding as it relates to the A/V industry.
- Thorough knowledge and experience in audio visual equipment installation, repair and support, including the ability to perform component level troubleshooting and repair.
- Good working knowledge of AV control systems programming preferably with Extron and Crestron control systems.
- Thorough knowledge and understanding of electronics.
- Thorough knowledge and understanding of the use of PC operating systems and application software.
- Good working knowledge PC hardware, software, operating systems and IP based networking systems.
- Familiarity with security alarm, video surveillance systems.
- Familiarity with CAD and/or 3D design software such as AutoCAD, TurboCAD or Sketchup.
- Ability to properly and safely use powered and non-powered hand tools.
- Superior customer service skills with excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to provide team leadership as well as a high degree of client interaction and technical versatility with broad industry knowledge.
- Ability to analyze and assess user’s needs, evaluate effectiveness of solutions, and resolve problems.
- Ability to exercise sound independent judgment, initiative and resourcefulness.
- Ability to plan, organize, coordinate schedules and deadlines for own work processes while maintaining effective working relationships with others in a collaborative team environment.
- Ability to think in the abstract with technical aptitude, thoroughness, and attention to detail.
- Ability to adapt and adjust to a rapidly changing environment.
- Ability to think logically.
- Ability to understand complex technology principles. OR EQUIVALENT COMBINATION OF EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE, SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE AND ABILITIES
The Collective Agreement between The University of Winnipeg and The Association of Employees Supporting Education Services (AESES), Clause 6.3, Selection for Vacancy, states: The Employer agrees that Employees with seniority shall have preference in connection with appointments so far as it is practicable to do so, provided that their qualifications are relatively equal.
The University of Winnipeg is committed to employment equity, welcomes diversity in the workplace, and encourages applications from all qualified individuals including women, members of racialized communities, Indigenous persons, persons with disabilities, and persons of any sexual orientation or gender identity. In accordance with Canadian immigration requirements, first preference must be given to Canadian citizens and permanent residents of Canada.