OverviewUniversity of Western Ontario Research Engineer Temporary in London, ON
University of Western Ontario
Branch London ON CA
Bachelor Degree in Engineering, Aerodynamics or Structural Engineering disciplines with demonstrated ability to perform wind engineering related research….
Classification & Regular Hours
Hours per Week: 37.5
Salary Grade: Technical Level 7
Please note, this is a temporary contract opportunity with an anticipated end date of April 30th, 2016.
Since 1878, Western University has been committed to serving our communities through the pursuit of academic excellence and by providing students, faculty, and community members with life-long opportunities for intellectual, social, and cultural growth. We seek excellent students, faculty, and staff to join us in what has become known as the “Western Experience” – an opportunity to contribute to a better world through the development of new knowledge, new abilities, new connections, and new ways to make a difference.
The Boundary Layer Wind Tunnel Laboratory (BLWTL) supports the academic mission of Western University and the Faculty of Engineering through the utilization of the wind engineering expertise residing in the BLWTL and through maintenance and improvement of the research infrastructure for wind engineering.
The Research Engineer will carry out commercial wind tunnel projects including management of the logistics and technical quality of the commercial projects. The Research Engineer is expected to take all opportunities to enhance the technical capability of the Boundary Layer Wind Tunnel Laboratory.
- Bachelor Degree in Engineering, Aerodynamics or Structural Engineering disciplines with demonstrated ability to perform wind engineering related research
- Masters or PhD in a Wind Engineering related discipline preferred
- Professional Engineer registered in Canada, Membership(s) in Professional Societies preferred
- 3 years work experience in wind engineering, wind tunnel theory or wind tunnel methodology field
- Experience with structural dynamics analysis of wind tunnel data preferred
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Proven understanding of wind tunnel methodology and overall technical ability in wind engineering related fields
- Demonstrated ability to analyze and synthesize sizable amounts of detail/data to prepare reports
- Ability to write clear, concise procedural documentation and complete model design and test preparations
- Strong client focus, desire to achieve results and proven advanced problem-solving skills
- Ability to establish and build healthy working relations and partnerships with clients, peers and external stakeholders
- Demonstrated strong project management skills and ability to execute creative and cost effective marketing communication projects
- Demonstrated strong oral and written communication skills with an emphasis on proposal development and presentation to clients and management
- Proven multi-tasking and time management skills and the ability anticipate, meet and cope with the stress of deadlines, multiple priorities while maintaining accuracy in daily work
- Strong record of teamwork with the motivation and ability to work independently with little supervision and achieve results
- Strong leadership and management skills with the ability to motivate a team of individuals
- Intermediate computer skills using MS-Office (Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Project)
- Programming in Matlab preferred
- Knowledge of the Occupational Health & Safety Act
Western Values Diversity
The University invites applications from all qualified individuals. Western is committed to employment equity and diversity in the workplace and welcomes applications from women, visible minorities, Aboriginal people, persons with disabilities, and persons of any sexual orientation or gender identity. In accordance with Canadian Immigration requirements, priority will be given to Canadian citizens and permanent residents.
The University provides support in its recruitment processes to applicants with disabilities, including accommodation that takes into account an applicant’s accessibility needs. Candidates requiring accommodation during the recruitment process are asked to contact Human Resources Administration at [email protected]
Please apply on or before
Employment Type: Temporary
Location: London, ON, CA
Posted on: 2015-03-24