Employment Type: Freelance
Posted on: 2018-07-27
University of Waterloo Expense Associate Contract in Waterloo, ON
University of Waterloo
Branch Waterloo ON CA
Post-secondary courses in accounting or equivalent education and experience. Unlike traditional Accounts Payable departments, the University’s non-salary…
Term: 1 year
The Expense Associate is accountable to the Manager, Payments and Expense Accounting for applying knowledge of policies and procedures to record non-salary expenses and process accurate payments to suppliers, employees and students. The scope and nature of Accounts Payable is extensive and varied. Unlike traditional Accounts Payable departments, the University’s non-salary expenses are not repetitive in nature, requiring a broader understanding of allowable business expenses, accounting and tax issues, and the ability to apply professional judgment. Objectives are achieved by understanding policies and procedures, reviewing documentation, categorizing expenses, addressing compliance issues, influencing best practices, contributing to continuous improvements and entering transactions.
Process vendor invoices and expense claims:
- Ensure accurate and timely payment of non-salary expenses to suppliers, employees and students.
- Review transactions for appropriate documentation, authorization, and expense categorization in keeping with UW policies and procedures.
- Match supplier invoices to purchase orders, where required.
- Calculate appropriate tax rebate.
- Reconcile statement of accounts from suppliers
- Resolve invoice holds.
- Ensure tax and fiscal year cut-offs are met
- Issue and account for payments to vendors, employees, students and other individuals in various currencies.
- Manage foreign payment transactions, including draft and wire payments.
- Interact with the university’s bank, management within Finance and other Accounts Payable team members.
Provide advice, training and direction:
- Work with representatives campus-wide to ensure that university policies and procedures are understood and followed.
- Respond to inquiries and communicate financial information to a diverse set of client groups, who often have little/no accounting knowledge or experience.
- Respond to inquiries from suppliers to answer questions related to the status of the university’s account, outstanding invoices, or obtain information in order to issue payment.
- Participate and support other department projects as required
- Provide administrative support as required
- Post-secondary courses in accounting or equivalent education and experience
- Previous experience in an enterprise wide computerized accounting environment preferred
- Demonstrated ability to prioritize and manage high-volume assignments accurately and efficiently
- Keen attention to detail
- Strong analytical and problem solving, interpersonal, organizational and communication skills
- Tact, judgement, and diplomacy are essential
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and handle confidential information
- Excellent MS Office skills including Excel and Word
- Excellent organizational and planning skills
- Comfort and clarity in explaining accounting information, as well as organizational procedures and policies