University of St. Michael’s College Human Resources Assistant Full Time in Toronto, ON
University of St. Michael’s College
Branch Toronto ON CA
Human Resources Assistant
Human Resources Officer*. Arranging for external advertising, sorting out/delivering resumes, identifying status of applicants, arranging interviews and closing…
Closing Date: November 4, 2016
Apply to: https://stmikes.utoronto.ca/about/employment/
Attention: Human Resources Officer
(please include position title in subject line of email when submitting resume and cover letter)
Under the general direction of the Human Resources Officer, the Human Resources Assistant is responsible for providing administrative support in the provision of a full range of human resources services for the University. The incumbent performs administrative duties and support functions associated with the recruitment, employment and termination of all Faculty and staff of the University of St. Michael’s College.
- Responsible for ensuring integrity and completeness of all personnel files and provides administrative and clerical support in activities such as filing, photocopying, printing, merging documents, report generation and retrieves files from archives, as required.
- Maintain hard copy filing system. Create employee files, file documents, ensure appropriate retention records according to guidelines and arrange file transfers to records storage.
- Ensure privacy and respect of employee information is maintained.
- Provides general advice to staff on matters relating to benefits, compensation/salary administration, employment, labour relations, staff development and general HR policies and processes.
- Handles a wide range of general inquiries and administration regarding application procedures and employment opportunities, tuition waivers, policies and benefits including health & safety, using discretion to handle very confidential information in an appropriate manner and to refer more complex queries as appropriate.
- Deals regularly with materials that include confidential and sensitive information, and understands the importance of exercising utmost discretion and maintaining the confidence of such materials.
- Assembles orientation packages, drafts benefit letters and conducts orientation sessions with new employees, as needed which includes: explaining the provisions of various plans, including extent of coverage, cost procedures for making claims and identifying the category pertaining to them, health and safety policy and AODA policies. Manages issuance of library cards and UTORauth and preparing letters for staff members.
- Responds to inquiries from staff on the benefit plans and assists employees in making changes to employee information and benefit coverage and stays current with plan upgrades and changes. Prepares documentation/enrolment/changes for Green Shield.
- Assists in recruitment activities, preparing job postings, posting opportunities on the website and other sites; arranging for external advertising, sorting out/delivering resumes, identifying status of applicants, arranging interviews and closing recruitment files.
- Responsible for maintaining data/files for employees and jobs including seniority, attendance, absences (sick and vacation) compensation and benefits and updates vacation database. Prepares and advises on discrepancies on annual attendance reports for staff members.
- Organizes HR related special events and arranges room bookings and catering.
- Provides administrative support to the annual ATB and PTR salary process.
- Maintains and improves databases and reports for activities such as job evaluation, recruitment, accommodation, development, grievances, and attendance management.
- Assists the Human Resources Officer in the University’s workplace health & safety program, including but not limited to administrative support for the Joint Health & Safety Committee.
- Act as contact for the Human Resources department providing assistance with incoming visitors, telephone calls, mail, general emails and routing enquiries when necessary to the appropriate University staff.
- Update the HR webpage.
- Create requisitions and purchase orders. Arrange for payment of invoices. Reconcile and audit month end reports, and resolve discrepancies.
- Format, transcribe, edit and/or design a variety of documents as required by supervisor including forms, correspondence, reports, procedure manuals, and information packages.
- Arrange for printing and/or production of various documents, prepare distribution of mailings, order supplies, and maintain office inventory.
- Co-ordinates schedules, application forms, room reservations, audio-visual equipment, refreshments for training.
- Produces various reports. Assists in the collection and analysis of data relating to various subjects and prepares reports and/or summaries.
- Conducts research on human resources related matters, labour relations, policies and programs.
- Other duties and projects as assigned.
QUALIFICATIONS & EXPERIENCE
- Post-Secondary diploma or degree in Human Resources or related discipline.
- 2-4 years of work experience in Human Resources with working knowledge of benefits and pension administration and HRIS. An equivalent combination of education, experience and training in related areas will be considered.
- Progress towards CHRP designation.
- Broad knowledge of human resources, employment legislation, collective agreement administration and occupational health and safety.
- Advanced computer skills including Microsoft Office applications (Excel, Word, PowerPoint, and Outlook) and HRIS systems and the ability to learn new computer programs or software. Prior experience with ADP [email protected] is preferred.
- Ability to use a personal computer, photocopier, scanner.
- Organizational skills.
- High level of accuracy and detail-orientation with strong written and verbal communication and interpersonal skills.
- Self-starter with above-average organization and time-management skills.
- Ability to perform with a minimum supervision, provide suggestions for continuous improvement and work in a team based environment.
- Ability to balance multiple work demands in an environment with frequently changing priorities and meet deadlines.
- Ability to learn and apply complex policies and procedures.
- Relationship-building skills.
- Ability to handle confidential information.
- Professionalism, tact and diplomacy.
We thank all applicants for their interest. Only those considered for an interview will be contacted.
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: $42,000.00 /year