OverviewUniversity of British Columbia Secretary II Full Time in Kelowna, BC
University of British Columbia
Branch Kelowna BC CA
Providing secretarial and clerical support to various departmental committees. Provides confidential secretarial and administrative assistance to the Head of…
This position reports to the Head of Critical Studies and provides a wide range of confidential administrative support to the Head and the Critical Studies Graduate and Undergraduate Coordinators. Also provides secretarial and clerical support to faculty members and sessional instructors, as well as direct front line support to Critical Studies undergraduate students, graduate students, graduate teaching assistants and the Dean’s Office.
Critical Studies is one of two departments within the Faculty of Creative and Critical Studies (FCCS) offering post-secondary students a wide range of undergraduate and graduate programs in the areas of language, literary studies, cultural studies, and art history. The secretary reports to and receives direction from the Head of Critical Studies, and communicates and works with other administrative support staff in the Faculty. This job requires a great deal of contact with and assistance to Critical Studies faculty members, as well as undergraduate and graduate students. There is a considerable amount of contact with many units outside the department, and this is the first point of contact for internal and external inquiries to Critical Studies and the Dean’s Office.
1. Provides confidential secretarial and administrative assistance to the Head of Critical Studies by:
– Working independently and collaboratively with the Head and Head’s Secretary to ensure the department functions efficiently and effectively.
– Providing vacation and leave coverage for the Head’s Secretary as needed, including processing any urgent expense or travel requisitions.
– Supporting appointment, tenure and promotion process by generating TEQ summaries for the Head of Critical Studies and collecting and organizing specific data from confidential SEOT (Student Evaluation of Teaching) scores.
– Acting as appointed back-up Purchase Card coordinator.
– Providing reception and front line contact for the department and the Dean’s Office: screening, directing/and or responding to telephone, email and in-person inquiries from students, staff, faculty and the general public.
– Scheduling appointments and meetings for Critical Studies faculty and the Head (shared MS Outlook calendars).
– Managing and coordinating the administration of the final exam process.
– Scheduling final exams in the Student Information Services Centre (SISC) and assisting with invigilating during the final exam period.
– Recording changes to student records in the SISC using a high level of restricted access, upon the direction and approval of the Head, including entering standing deferred or grade change designations, special permissions, late withdrawals, academic probation, or processing letters of permission.
– Processing course advising forms including pre-requisite waivers and course add-drops.
– Deregistering first year English students who do not satisfy prerequisite requirements.
– Managing the administration of all Critical Studies student employees including Work Study, GTA, UTA, Markers, Research Assistants, and Academic Assistants by:
– Initiating electronic hiring forms, upon direction from the Head, for all new and returning student employees.
– Collecting, recording, uploading and filing or appropriately disposing of all confidential documents required for student employees.
– Developing and maintaining tracking systems and processes for all student employees to ensure hours worked and salaries are within budgeted yearly amounts.
– Tracking all department expenses associated with student employees and reporting to Faculty Administrator.
– Completing and submitting payroll timesheets to Finance for hourly employees.
– Assisting with coordination of special events for Critical Studies, including online promotion, setup and catering arrangements.
– Providing secretarial and clerical support to various departmental committees.
– Designing, printing and distributing promotional material (brochures, pamphlets and emails) for programs and departmental events.
– Soliciting participation, recruiting volunteers, and preparing schedules for departmental and faculty events and committees.
– Providing regular updates to the Critical Studies web pages.
– Distributing department-wide emails as instructed by Head.
– Making travel arrangements.
– Managing and coordinating the program advising schedule.
– Taking and transcribing departmental minutes (Merit, Tenure and Promotion and department meetings).
– Main contact for class cancellations, posting notices and informing students.
– Creating and maintaining department files, preparing reports, correspondence, agendas and forms.
2. Provides confidential secretarial and administrative support to the Graduate and Undergraduate Supervisors of Critical Studies by:
– Storing, tracking, maintaining and updating student employment reports.
– Initiating employment letters for Teaching Assistants and Markers as directed and following the process outlined in the BCGEU Collective Agreement.
– Collecting appointment forms, hiring forms (TD1, personal data, and direct deposit), processing ePafs in HRMS and providing set-up information to student employees (CWL, PIN and UBC email information).
– Providing ongoing assistance to Teaching Assistants, Research Assistants, Academic Assistants, Markers and Work Study appointments with issues pertaining to payroll, facilities, equipment and supplies.
– Updating database of all Teaching Assistants, Research Assistants, Academic Assistants, Markers and Work Study appointments within the department by recording and tracking contact information, appointment dates, salaries, assignments, etc.
– Collecting, managing and tracking Teaching Assistant and Work Study applications.
– Processing, tracking and updating Salto access for all Critical Studies student employees.
– Liaising with Security to ensure correct Salto access is maintained, reviewing access on a regular basis, and creating new Salto access zones when necessary.
– Distributing graduate and undergraduate student mail, assigning Teaching Assistant office space, arranging photocopying access and keys.
– Composing and/or forwarding daily emails regarding notices, information, updates, events, awards, and anything related to undergraduate students, graduate students and Teaching Assistants.
3. Provides clerical and secretarial assistance to faculty members by:
– Processing Expense Requisitions for Critical Studies and research speedcharts.
– Accessing FMSnQuery to advise faculty of their research account budgets and expenditures.
– Advising faculty on various student hire classifications, managing the administration of their student hires by:
o Collecting appropriate information from researchers and their students.
o Initiating ePaf hiring forms, collecting, uploading, filing and/or appropriately disposing of all confidential documents required for student employees.
oCalculating employer costs, including benefits and vacation, to ensure researchers stay within their budgets and student appointments are initiated through HRMS with the correct deductions corresponding to appointment type.
– Working closely with the Chair of the Teaching Award for Excellence and Innovation committee to promote the awards to faculty and students.
– Collecting confidential Teaching Award applications, supporting documentation and uploading confidential documentation to secure folders for committee access only.
– Collecting and storing electronic copies of course outlines, collecting and archiving electronic copies of final exams and out-of-time exams.
– Ensuring faculty and sessionals are equipped and have access to Connect, furnished office, computer, telephone, name plate, photocopy access and codes, and other essential supplies.
– Requesting SALTO access and maintaining up-to-date records for Critical Studies faculty.
-Assisting faculty/sessional instructors with office relocations each term, including entering IT tickets for computers, monitors, telephones and mail.
– Assisting faculty with Facilities related inquiries including entering Facilities work requests for events, repairs, office moves, and any concerns related to CCS spaces.
Ordering department stationary and business cards.
4. Works as part of the Faculty of Creative and Critical Studies administrative team by:
– Providing input at team meetings and assuming duties to ensure the success of the Faculty.
– Working with external groups within UBC as Adoption Lead (providing input, sharing project and initiative information) for the implementation of various new UBC projects and initiatives including TASM, Scientia, SEOT and SASI.
– Recommending changes to administrative policies and procedures to help ensure continuity in activities such as final exams. Contribute regularly to the Policy and Procedures manual (toolkit) to keep it updated.
– Maintaining paper supplies and photocopier parts, for the Xerox copiers in CCS 383 and CCS 323; troubleshooting when necessary and acts as the main contact for Xerox technicians.
– Ordering and maintaining inventory for final exams.
– Sorting and distributing FCCS mail in CCS building.
– Ordering and maintaining all office supplies.
This position works independently, under the supervision of the Head of Critical Studies.
This position is not responsible for the supervision of others.
Consequence of Error/Judgement
The employee in this position is expected to perform professionally and make proper and sound decisions, while exercising a high degree of confidentiality, diplomacy, tact and accuracy. This position has access to a wide range of confidential information which is governed by the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act (FIPPA), including sensitive faculty and student records. The employee must make informed decisions regarding the release of any information as errors in judgement would have a direct impact on faculty records and student academic records. Employee regularly works under pressure to meet deadlines with a maximum number of interruptions, and must exercise judgement in establishing priorities and carrying work through to completion in a timely manner. Judgement is exercised routinely on matters of spending for events and supplies, booking approvals, Salto access and financial reimbursements. Attention to detail and the development of effective tracking systems for building access and financial tracking is essential, as inaccurate or incorrect/insufficient information could negatively impact faculty and student access and have security and financial implications for the Faculty and the University.
High school graduation plus 1 year post-secondary education. . Over two years related experience, preferably in a post-secondary setting. Proficiency in the use of Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook, Adobe Acrobat and website maintenance. Advanced knowledge of office practices and procedures, effective oral and written communication, interpersonal and organizational skills required. Must have the ability to work efficiently, work independently and within a team environment, exercise courtesy, tact, discretion and sound judgement. Ability to prioritize, multi-task and work effectively under pressure to meet deadlines. Knowledge of university policies and procedures, People Soft and the Faculty of Creative and Critical Studies programs would be an asset.
UBC hires on the basis of merit and is strongly committed to equity and diversity within its community. We especially welcome applications from visible minority group members, women, Aboriginal persons, persons with disabilities, persons of minority sexual orientations and gender identities, and others with the skills and knowledge to productively engage with diverse communities. All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however Canadians and permanent residents will be given priority.
Employment Type: Full Time
Location: Kelowna, BC, CA
Posted on: 2015-09-24