OverviewUniversity of British Columbia Library Services Assistant-Communications Part Time in Kelowna, BC
University of British Columbia
Branch Kelowna BC CA
Library Services Assistant-Communications
Participates in team activities such as meetings, trainings and skills-building events. Provides support for Library marketing/communications events as required…
This position is responsible for answering circulation, directional and reference questions at the Service Desk; referring to a librarian those reference questions which are complex or which require group instruction. Will assist the Communications, Marketing and Assessment Librarian with Library communications. Will assist with project work as requested by coordinators and librarians. Works with other members of the University of British Columbia Okanagan (UBCO) Library staff and the public; participates in team activities such as meetings, trainings and skills-building events.
This position works under the supervision of the Public Services Coordinator and the Communication, Marketing and Assessment Librarian, and reports to the Undergraduate Services Librarian.
1. Performs Service Desk functions by:
- Providing library assistance at the Service Desk
- Creating a positive and welcoming customer service environment for all library patrons
- Answering reference questions using UBC Okanagan Library resources including the catalogue, online databases and electronic resources; referring questions to subject specialists and/or other campus departments, as appropriate
- Answering questions concerning library resources and services; providing assistance to patrons using library resources and technology
- Explaining library policies and procedures to patrons; reporting problems to designated individuals or departments
- Providing circulation services, such as charging, renewing and discharging items
- Creating and updating patron records, accounts and item records, including the creation of brief item records and barcode maintenance
- Opening and closing the Library
- Accepting fine payments, including processing debit transactions
- Shelving library material and assisting with ongoing stacks maintenance
- Assisting librarians with orientation or instructional sessions; preparing support or instructional materials for students and faculty as directed; completing reference projects as assigned
- Participating in team meetings, including ongoing training sessions
2. Under the direction of the Librarian, Communications, Marketing, and Assessment:
- Researches, writes, edits, and collects content and prepares reports, articles, and announcements for publication on the Library Website and distribution through social media and other campus’ communication avenues
- Writes, edits, and collects content and prepares reports, articles and announcements for internal distribution, including UBC Library system-wide communications
- Designs and produces effective and visually appealing communication and marketing materials, including physical signage, digital signage, newsletters, presentations, promotional materials, and event-specific materials
- Provides support for Library marketing/communications events as required
- Collects and prepares information for promotional literature and materials
- Drafts written copy and creates graphics for the Library website
- Assists in the maintenance of the Library website, adhering to branding and accessibility standards, as well as ensuring content remains up-to-date
- Creates and uploads materials to the Library website, Intranet, and social media sites
- Conducts research to develop and improve the Library’s marketing and outreach efforts
- Updates and maintains marketing and communications documentation and archives
- Coordinates special communications and marketing projects and outreach events
- Proofreads and edits print and visual materials to clarify meaning, grammar, accuracy, consistency, and adherence to brand and style standards
- Supports communications and marketing activities of related units, including Writing and Research Services and UBC Innovation Library, as needed
- Serves as a member of the Library’s Communications Team
- Participates in the UBC Okanagan Social Media Community of Practice and Okanagan Communicators Network as availability allows
3. Assists with Library Projects by:
- Assisting with background research to support development of new library services and initiatives
- Participating in evaluations of resources on trial and providing feedback on these items
- Providing support for processes and procedures on collections, including donations, deselection, and inventories
- Compiling statistics on a variety of library services including collections, public service instruction, etc.
4. Performing other duties related to access or public services.
The incumbent is supervised by the Public Services Coordinator and the Communications, Marketing and Assessment Library, along with the Undergraduate Services Librarian.
This position does not supervise staff.
Consequence of Error/Judgement
Decisions where clear procedures are not available will be directed to the Public Services Coordinator. Errors in judgment or ineffective communication relating to services offered at the Service Desk have limited effect on library operations.
High school graduation, plus a Library Technician diploma. . A minimum of one year recent experience in an academic library environment is preferred or an equivalent combination of experience and education. – Knowledge of library policies and procedures
- Ability to use standard workplace software such as MS Office is required
- Ability to work independently, as part of a team, and under limited supervision
- Ability to exercise tact, courtesy, discretion and sound judgement
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Excellent customer service delivery skills
- Effective at multi-tasking, organization and attention to detail
- Ability to prioritize work and meet deadlines
- Knowledge and understanding of graphic design, photography, and social media strategies would be an asset
- Adept at learning new technology related to website design and communications
- Ability to apply previously learned concepts to new situations and/or technology
- Ability to work flexible hours, including evenings and weekends
UBC hires on the basis of merit and is strongly committed to equity and diversity within its community. We especially welcome applications from visible minority group members, women, Aboriginal persons, persons with disabilities, persons of minority sexual orientations and gender identities, and others with the skills and knowledge to productively engage with diverse communities. All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however Canadians and permanent residents will be given priority.
Employment Type: Part Time
Location: Kelowna, BC, CA
Posted on: 2016-05-20