OverviewUniversity of British Columbia Accounting Clerk Part Time in Vancouver, BC
University of British Columbia
Branch Vancouver BC CA
Assists ELI Building Manager with building projects. Provides accounting support to the ELI Finance department….
Provides accounting support to the ELI Finance department. Balances daily tuition revenues received in student registration system (SRS); Prepares financial documentation for entry into the Financial Management System (FMS PeopleSoft) including requisitions, journal vouchers and cash receipts; Fills petty cash/bus ticket requests and maintains cash expense reports; Data entry SRS orders (cash and POS) in SRS for Socio-cultural program; Maintains accounting files; Assists with ledger reconciliations; Packs money for Brinks; Assists with building access cards check out; Works as Student Service Rep in peak periods; Acts as back up in processing hourly timesheets and in processing appointments for casual and CUPE 2278 instructors when necessary; Assists with ELI Building Manager when requested; Occasional other projects.
Reports to the ELI Finance Manager, and Senior Financial Specialist.
– Balances SRS with Daily Balance Summary sheet for Registration desk and Socio-Cultural desk
– Processes cash receipts for SRS entries, socio cultural activities, admin, etc.
– Performs data entry of SRS orders (cash and POS) in SRS for Socio-cultural program
– Processes requisitions for payment and travel claims ; assists in reviewing all charges for accuracy, reconciles charges to documentation and follows up on any problems
– Handles ELI petty cash reimbursements and maintains daily balancing
– Fills requests for cash advances and bus tickets
– Assists in authorization cash advances after checking instructor budgets
– Collects/returns deposits for access cards
– Maintains accounting files
– Packs deposits for Brinks pick-up
– Processes journal vouchers for food services, room rentals, bookstore, student housing, certificates, etc.
– Ensures timely and accurate payment to agents recruiting international students, contacts finance to track wire transfers
– Assists ELI Building Manager with building projects
– Works as Student Services Representative when required
– Handles other projects such as assisting instructors organizing/labeling new binders for course materials and transferring course materials
– Provides the following back-up when required:
. Processes hourly timesheets for casual and CUPE 2278 instructors
. Processes appointments for casual and CUPE 2278 instructors and outputs letters of appointment and letters of acceptance
. Processes hourly appointments
. Ensures that all documentation for summer casual instructors and short-term staff is complete (i.e. SIN, DOB, etc.)
. Delivers urgent staff appointments to HR or time sheets to payroll so deadlines can be met
– Performs other duties as required
Supervised by ELI Finance Manager, receives daily instructions from Senior Financial Specialist.
Consequence of Error/Judgement
Failure to process necessary paperwork promptly and accurately will have undesirable results in various programs and other departments resulting in frustrated/angry staff/clients.
High School graduation and two-year post-secondary diploma in accounting. 3 years of related experience or the equivalent combination of education and experience. Ability to type 50 wpm and operate office equipment such as calculators. Experience carrying out assignments independently; ability to plan, prioritize and execute workflow to meet deadlines; bookkeeping/accounting experience required; effective oral and written communication, interpersonal and organizational skills; ability to work effectively and accurately in a multi-tasking environment and when under pressure to meet deadlines; ability to work effectively as part of a team in a busy environment; ability to follow up on outstanding issues without being reminded; must have patience and be able to handle difficult situations in a diplomatic manner; computer experience is required (Word for Windows, Excel MSAccess, Netscape Communicator and email). Experience with FMS and UBC financial forms an asset. Confidentiality and discretion are required of this incumbent.
UBC hires on the basis of merit and is strongly committed to equity and diversity within its community. We especially welcome applications from visible minority group members, women, Aboriginal persons, persons with disabilities, persons of minority sexual orientations and gender identities, and others with the skills and knowledge to productively engage with diverse communities. All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however Canadians and permanent residents will be given priority.
Employment Type: Part Time
Location: Vancouver, BC, CA
Posted on: 2015-09-23