OverviewUnilever SHE Specialist Full Time in Rexdale, ON
Branch Rexdale ON CA
The incumbent is responsible for managing and providing hands on support for multiple aspects of the plant’s safety /environmental programs and compliance…
I. Position Summary
The incumbent is responsible for managing and providing hands on support for multiple aspects of the plant’s safety /environmental programs and compliance measures, including but not limited to employee safety, health, ergonomics, recordkeeping and reporting, industrial hygiene and solid waste and waste stream management.
Il. Position Responsibilities (Expected Work)
Responsible for the administration and implementation of key SHE programs and policies to ensure the plants adherence to all applicable federal, provincial, and local regulations to ensure an accident/hazard free/healthy work environment. Manages SHEQ HAZOP review for new capital projects.
2. Coordinates SHE Unilever framework for the site and leads employee safety teams. Provides instruction and training in regard to SHE framework/TPM initiatives and regulatory compliance (Forklift certification, confined spaces, LOTO, etc.) Manages Behavioral Based Safety Program to assure at-risk-behaviors and at-risk-conditions are addressed
3. Manages site to full OHSA, MOL, MOE and other regulatory agencies compliance by maintaining and submitting safety, accident, environmental, and industrial hygiene files and record as required. Supervising all plants environmental streams and programs (Hazardous/ Non-hazardous waste, emissions, storm water, recycling, etc.) Fully capable in conducting MOL, other regulatory agencies, 3rd party led audits
4. Ensure investigation of accidents and injuries are conducted correctly and cooperates in the preparation of material and evidence for organization use in hearings, law suits, and insurance investigations. Makes studies and analyses of industrial accident causes and hazards to health for use by company personnel and outside agencies. 5. Cascades site targets, metrics and goals to the Leadership Team and employees. Keeps managers and employees alerted as to the hazards of working with toxic fumes, dangerous chemicals, and any other hazardous substances.
6. Participates in the development of the annual site SHE budget and controls fixed and variable cost expenditures.
7. Inspects or tours organization facilities to detect existing or potential accident and health hazards, and recommends corrective or preventative measures where applicable. Conduct formal risk assessment and ensure risks are mitigated or eliminated accordingly.
8. Lead Environmental initiatives within facility. Manages New Substance Notification Regulations (NSNR) program. Completes the national pollutant release inventory (NPRI) report
9. Develops audit protocols, audit programs, procedures and practices for the SHE framework standards
10. Conducts respirator fit testing for employees. Assists in selection and use of respiratory protection, protective clothing, hearing protection and safety glasses – plano and prescription
Other duties as assigned
1. Driving the Continuous Improvement agenda using TPM as the operating framework. This involves a shift in behavior and a new way of work and to lead or support SHE Pillar
2. Managing and eliminating SHE operational risks and hazards to ensure accident/ hazard free/echo friendly cost competitive operation
3. Optimizing the use and interactions internal and external customers such as Peoplelink, RVS, OSHA, EPA and others to deliver the business agenda
4. Upgrading of employee population skills and competencies. This will require to facilitate through TPM the correct SHE skills and competencies to employees to drive the continuous improvement agenda. This also will require to manage performance issues interacting with management and legal to raise employee performance to accepted levels.
IV. Scope Utilization of Peoplelink tools in daily work (LMS, Taleo, EAF, etc.)
Utilization of applicable systems to perform daily tasks as required (ARIBA, Time and Attendance, UTEMS, etc
BS, Engineering or Environmental science degree from a recognized institution
Working knowledge of ECA, NPRI, NSNR definitely an asset
VI. Skills (Professional and General Skills)
Safety & Environmental Compliance (OSHA, OHSA, OHSAS 18001, WSIB)
Environmental (MOE, ISO 14001, NPRI, ECA)
Leadership, conflict management, problem solving and decision making, the ability to stay calm under pressure, communication skills (written and verbal) presentation skills. Facilitating skills.
VII. Competencies Required for Success (Please identify the 2 to 4 competencies most important to this position)
Consumer and Customer Focus
Bias for Action X
Accountability and Responsibility X
Building Talents and Teams X
Leads the Joint Health and Safety Committee
VII. Responsibilities with other Programs and/or Systems
-Attend, participate, and complete the required trainings for the programs implemented in the company
-Participate and / or support in the Internal and External Audits
-Periodically review the documents from my area to keep them updated
-Identify hazardous situations and make recommendations
-Support incidents investigation and implementation of corrective actions, as needed
-Support the development of SHE related instructions and training
-Provide expertise regarding SHE tests on equipment, material, etc., carried out in the workplace
-Meet at least every three months, preferably monthly
-Maintain and keep minutes of its proceeding
-Support the establishment, implementation and maintenance of the SHE management system
-Offer SHE Technical support and advice
-Coordinate SHE risk assessments and MOC (management of change) reviews
-Organize the site’s SHE training assessment, preparation and execution
-Collect and maintain records and statistical information related to SHE
-Provide for the regular maintenance and inspection of facilities’ equipment, work methods and work -practices to eliminate and control hazards
-Ensure that appropriate SHE training, orientation and work permits are in place for employees and contractors
-Provide the necessary enforcement to ensure that SHE policies, procedures and regulations are followed
-Provide for the prompt investigation of accidents and incidents and ensure proper communication
-Coordinate corrective and preventive actions related to the SHE management system
-Ensure corrective actions implementation and effectiveness
-Coordinate audits, reviews and PAR assessments
Please note: as part of the job application, you will be asked to complete pre-screening questions. Completion of the pre-screening questions are mandatory in order to be considered. Please allow yourself plenty of time to complete both the application and pre-screening questions. If the pre-screening questions are partially answered or not at all, it will adversely affect the progress of your application. Please be aware that you will have to complete the pre-screening questions at once as you will be unable to return to it later.
Unilever is an equal opportunity employer. It prohibits discrimination based on age, color, disability, national origin, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, and any other legally protected class in accordance with applicable federal, provincial and local laws. Unilever is committed to creating and maintaining an inclusive and accessible workplace. If you are contacted for an interview and require accommodation during the interviewing process please let us know.
Unilever offers a competitive compensation package which includes: Medical & Dental Plans; Life Insurance; Optional Life Insurance including Spousal Life and Child Life; Voluntary Accidental Death and Dismemberment Insurance; Consumer Directed Health Care Spending Account; Defined Contribution Pension Plan; Group Registered Retirement Savings Plan; Tuition Reimbursement; Fitness Subsidy; Paid Vacation and Holidays.
Employment Type: Full Time
Location: Toronto, ON, CA
Posted on: 2017-02-07