Position: Clinic Clerical Assistant
Status: Temporary Full Time – Approximately 12 months
Dept: Renal – Credit Valley Hospital
Posted: July 25, 2018
Internal Deadline: August 1, 2018
Trillium Health Partners (THP) is one of the largest community-based acute care facilities in Canada. Comprised of the Credit Valley Hospital, the Mississauga Hospital and the Queensway Health Centre, Trillium Health Partners serves the growing and diverse populations of Mississauga, West Toronto and surrounding communities and is a teaching hospital affiliated with the University of Toronto.
Our Mission: A New Kind of Health Care for a Healthier Community
When we set out to build our vision and future, we connected with our community – patients, families, visitors, physicians, staff and volunteers. The foundational goals of our new strategic plan – quality, access and sustainability – anchor everything we do. Our mission for a new kind of health care is built on an inter-connected system of care organized around patients – inside and outside the hospital.
At THP, we are relentless in providing high quality, compassionate care to our communities and take great pride in fostering an inclusive and accessible environment and we are all accountable for contributing to a healthy, safe and respectful environment for healing and promoting excellence in patient care though advancing patient and staff safety. If you are passionate about what you do, motivated to improve the health of the community, committed to excellence, quality and patient safety we would like you to join our Better Together team!
The Department Clerical Assistant provides clerical support for reception; new referrals processing and information management; patient adminstrative services, ensures the clerical administration and operation of the patient services department/clinic; and performs other duties consistent with the job classification as required.
- Completion of high school or recognized equivalent is required
- Completion of a Medical Terminology course is required
- Experience with Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, Powerpoint, Outlook) is required
JOB DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Greets patients, visitors and staff, directing them to appropriate personnel and/or destination/room, providing assistance as required
- Registers patients, confirming/validating patient demographic, insurance (including OHIP) and other required information as appropriate
- Explains hospital/department policy and procedures to patients, visitors and staff as necessary (including infection prevention and control)
- Answers the telephone, sends/received faxes, responding to enquiries within scope of authority, or, directing to most appropriate person
- Takes, prioritizes and relays messages for staff and/or patients. Locates staff, pages healthcare professionals as required
- Open, sort and distribute incoming mail and other materials
New referrals processing and information management
- Receives and logs incoming referrals, reviews for completion, follows up as required
- Creates and maintains charts. Ensures required forms are received, completed correctly and put into patient file
- Enters patient information and appointments into required databases, updates with appointment and other medical information
- Makes reminder phone calls for next day appointments
- Assists new patients completing required questionnaire, responding to questions within scope of authority
- Prepares and updates patient charts with lab reports, test results and other pertinent information. Scans and copies chart and other information as required
- Ensures patient discharged are processed and charts are sent to Health Records
Patient Administrative Services
- Books outpatient new and follow up appointments, triaging referrals as appropriate Cancels appointments and follows up with other patients for rescheduling of visit
- Explains test/visit preparations as required within scope of authority
- Liaises with internal departments and external healthcare facilities to book/cancel tests, appointments
- Books interpreters for patients as needed
- Arranges for transportation for patients as required (eg. those staying in nursing homes).
- Transcribes and enters physician orders including medication, lab and imaging orders and other patient information into appropriate system
- Enters data including appointment requests, discharge documentation, nursing acuity/workload assessments as required
- Notifies appropriate personnel of patient movement, cancellations, appointments and other patient information in a timely and accurate manner
Ensures efficient clerical administration and operation of the department within scope of authority
- Prepares clinic lists, identifies orders needed as required
- Enters and maintains payroll records (include sick and vacation requests)
- Creating and managing Physician booking, Allied Health grids (calendar management) as required
- Transcribes diagnostic reports, assessments, minutes and correspondence
- Submits billings to CCAC, WSIB and other organizations as required
- Responds to and prepares written correspondence in reply to requests for patient information from external institutions within scope of authority
- Request/receives reports from external healthcare facilities as directed
- Prepare CD’s and other patient information for review by the healthcare professional
- Requisitions and maintains office/medical supplies; counts and labels inventory as required. May be required to stock unit carts and/or supply areas
- Processes routine financial transactions including unit supply/inventory purchase and charges for services/items not covered by patient’s healthcare plan and provides invoice
- Liaises with Accounts Receivable as required
Performs cross-functional, and/or, other duties consistent with the job classification, as required.
Works in compliance of the Occupational Health & Safety Act and its regulations, reporting hazards, deficiencies and contravention’s of the Act, in a timely manner.
Internal candidates who believe they possess the necessary qualifications and experience for this position and who have been in their current position for at least six (6) months are encouraged to apply.
To pursue this career opportunity, please visit our website: www.trilliumhealthpartners.ca
Trillium Health Partners is an equal opportunity employer committed to fostering a healthy, safe and respectful environment for healing, based on our values compassion, excellence and courage. To be Better Together, we commit to fostering a respectful workplace culture that promotes a safe and supportive environment for everyone who provides care, supports caregiving, receives care or visits the hospital.
In accordance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005 and the Ontario Human Rights Code Trillium Health Partners will provide accommodations throughout the recruitment and selection process to applicants with disabilities. If selected to participate in the recruitment and selection process, please inform Human Resources of the nature of any accommodation(s) that you may require in respect of any materials or processes used to ensure your equal participation.
All personal information is collected under the authority of the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act.
Trillium Health Partners is identified under the French Language Services Act.
We thank all those who apply but only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.