OverviewTown of Whitchurch-Stouffville System Administrator (Temporary Full-time) Temporary in Whitchurch-Stouffville, ON
Town of Whitchurch-Stouffville
Branch Whitchurch-Stouffville ON CA
System Administrator (Temporary Full-time)
Concepts into understandable terms for business users. Possession of a valid Ontario Class "G" Driver’s License and access to a vehicle for use on corporate…
System Administrator (Temporary Full-time) (Job # 2016-095-IE)
Department: Corporate Services Status: Temporary Full-time (6 month contract) Date Posted: November 1, 2016 Date Closing: November 15, 2016 at 4:30pm Number of positions: 1 Scheduled Hours/Shifts: 35 hours per week; on-call/stand-by required (evenings/weekends/statutory
holidays) Salary: $40.28 – $48.91 per hour
Position Purpose: Reporting to the Manager, Information Technology Services, the System Administrator is responsible for the design, implementation and support of the server, application, and network infrastructure to meet the present and future needs of the Town. This role will be responsible for maintaining an optimal and resilient server environment through proactive planning, security assessments, and performance tuning of systems infrastructure; evaluating and selecting new server infrastructure technologies; and leading the implementation of system upgrades and maintenance work to accommodate growth and ensure the reliable delivery of IT services. Responsibilities include:
• developing and administering a robust, enterprise-wide multi-tiered backup solution to reliably safeguard corporate data;
• participating in the implementation of disaster recovery strategies to safeguard corporate data, ensure business continuity, and minimize downtime of critical IT services;
• installing operating system software, patches and upgrades along with maintaining server builds and templates; • investigating, analyzing, troubleshooting and resolving server infrastructure hardware, software, and networking
related issues; managing the repair, recovery and restoration of IT services affected by server infrastructure outages;
• configuring, optimizing, fine-tuning and monitoring server hardware infrastructure and operating system software; • performing daily system monitoring, verifying the integrity and availability of all hardware, server infrastructure
systems; routinely reviewing system and application logs to verify completion of critical scheduled jobs such as backups;
• managing and providing end-to-end support of a virtualized data centre on the VMware platform; ensuring the availability, scalability, security, and performance of the VMware ESXi environment;
• deploying, maintaining, and supporting Storage Area Networks.
Qualifications and Requirements: The ideal candidate has a strong hands-on/technical knowledge of core Microsoft server technologies including but not limited to Windows Server, Active Directory, Group Policies, and Microsoft SQL Server, as well as in-depth expertise in Active Directory, DNS, DHCP, GPO, infrastructure monitoring and security tools; and has expert knowledge of information security principles and practices including risk assessment standards, methodologies, vulnerability assessments, security auditing and penetration testing. Other specific skills and qualifications are outlined as follows:
• University degree in Computer Science or equivalent combination of relevant experience and education • Minimum of seven (7) years of progressive experience in a server infrastructure administration/management role • Experience with storage area network (SAN) technology is required, as well as experience with implementing
enterprise data backup strategies, devising comprehensive disaster recovery solutions and virtualization, server consolidation, and disaster recovery utilizing VMWare; PowerShell scripting experience
• Working knowledge of firewall, VPN and networking technologies • ITIL Foundation, VMWare and Microsoft certifications (such as MCSE, MCTS, and/or MCSA) are an asset • Microsoft SCCM and/or SCOM experience would be an asset.
• Knowledge of infrastructure monitoring tools, with the ability to analyze system logs and make appropriate
recommendations. • Highly developed analytical and problem solving skills with keen attention to detail • Excellent interpersonal, written and oral communication skills, with a proven ability to explain complex technical
concepts into understandable terms for business users • Good time management and organizational skills, adept at effectively dealing with multiple competing priorities • Possession of a valid Ontario Class “G” Driver’s License and access to a vehicle for use on corporate business
(mileage compensated). Proof of vehicle insurance required upon hire. • On-call/standby evenings and weekends are required – must be available to work evenings, flex shifts, extended
hours and statutory holidays when required.
How to apply: Please forward your resume in confidence by November 15, 2016 at 4:30 p.m., identifying Job # 2016-095-IE in the subject line to [email protected] Committed to diversity and a barrier-free environment: Whitchurch-Stouffville is an equal opportunity employer committed to an inclusive, barrier-free recruitment and selection process and as we grow, it’s important that our workforce reflect the citizens we serve. At the Town, we respect, encourage, and celebrate our diversity. If contacted for an employment opportunity, please advise if you require accommodation.
We thank all applicants for their interest in this position, however, only those applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.
Employment Type: Temporary
Location: Whitchurch-Stouffville, ON, CA
Posted on: 2016-11-02