OverviewTown of Richmond Hill Intern – Natural Environment Internship in Richmond Hill, ON
Town of Richmond Hill
Branch Richmond Hill ON CA
Intern – Natural Environment
Richmond Hill, ON
Knowledge and/or experience in research methodologies for conducting site investigations and collecting biological inventory data….
Overview: Contract: May 1, 2017 – September 1, 2017
Schedule: Monday – Friday / 35 hours per week
Responsibilities: Reporting to the Manager, Natural Environment, the Natural Environment Intern will assist staff in facilitating a range of community programs aimed at protecting and enhancing natural features and increasing awareness about the important of natural areas. The intern will assist with administration of the Community Stewardship Program, Healthy Yards Program, Community Allotment Garden, biological monitoring and other tasks as assigned. The position will also assist with implementation of the Emerald Ash Borer Management Strategy on Town lands through activities such as ash tree assessments, database management and background research that will assist with program development.
- Post graduate program or are a senior level undergraduate working towards a university degree in a forestry, biology or environmental science or a related discipline
- Knowledge and/or experience in ecological restoration
- Knowledge of environmental policies
- Knowledge and/or experience in research methodologies for conducting site investigations and collecting biological inventory data
- Able to identify flora and fauna (particularly tree species and amphibian calls) and carry out monitoring programs
- Experience coordinating/facilitating community tree planting and stewardship events.
- Knowledge of municipal government processes and organization would be an asset
- Effective verbal and written communication skills are essential
- Strong knowledge of spreadsheet, database, word processing and G.I.S. computer applications
- Graphic design and/or text editing skills are an asset
- A valid Class “G” Driver’s License
- The successful candidate will also be required to provide a current satisfactory driver’s abstract from the M.T.O.
- Possess your own CSA certified steel toe safety boots for fieldwork
- Available to work evenings and weekends when necessary
- Standard First Aid and CPR certification would be considered an asset
We thank all candidates for their interest, however, only those under consideration will be contacted. The Town of Richmond Hill is committed to inclusive, barrier-free recruitment and selection processes. If contacted to participate in the recruitment and selection process, please advise Human Resources if you require an accommodation.
Employment Type: Internship
Location: Richmond Hill, ON, CA
Posted on: 2017-02-10