OverviewTown of Oakville Utility Person II Full Time in Oakville, ON
Town of Oakville
Branch Oakville ON CA
Utility Person II
Operating all tractors, vehicles, front-end loaders and attachments and, hand and power tools in a safe and efficient manner….
This job profile reflects the general details considered necessary to perform the principle functions and shall not be construed as an interpretation of all work requirements inherent in the job. Applicants are required to demonstrate in their applications and in the interview process that their qualifications for the positions match those specified. Applicants may be required to undergo a skills assessment.
Salary Range: $25.82 (Probationary rate)
$26.12 (Full time rate)
The Utility Person II is responsible for parks construction work and maintenance procedures on existing facilities, and installation of new development projects in Town parks and other designated areas.
This position reports to the Supervisor and under the daily direction of the Leadhand position; the duties of this position include:
• Performing parks construction work utilizing carpentry, painting, landscaping, fencing, playgrounds, irrigation and building repairs.
• Performing routine maintenance procedures on existing parks and cemetery facilities, and installation of new development projects, i.e. installation and maintenance of playgrounds, irrigation systems, spray pads, steps, bridges, backstops, benches, signage, interlocking stone, park ID post and memorial bench, waterline repairs and stage set ups.
• Assessing and keeping the Supervisor and/or Leadhand informed of any breakdowns, vandalism, and deterioration of Town facilities and properties.
• Operating all tractors, vehicles, front-end loaders and attachments and, hand and power tools in a safe and efficient manner.
• Performing daily circle checks on equipment, conduct minor repairs in the prescribed manner, performing maintenance including lubricating, sharpen, cleaning and washing all tools and equipment, and scheduling any major repairs with the Supervisor. Inspection and/or completion of traffic safety plans as required.
• Operating heavy equipment including backhoes, trucks, trailers, skid steers to assist in grave digging, trenching, snow removal, grading, trail repair, sanding, and waste removal.
• May be required to work shifts, i.e. weekends and/or nights or in other departments for short periods i.e. winter control and/or emergencies.
• Knowledge of blue print reading, map comprehensions and/or hydraulics.
• Mathematical competencies including addition, subtraction, multiplication, division, percentages, ratios or averages for material acquisition and layout design.
• Ability to perform trouble shooting/repairs to equipments and hand tools.
• Ability to read write and comprehend work orders, instructions, short notes, diagrams, operation manuals inspection and technical reports, equipment manuals, daily activity cards, log entries and vehicle circle check.
• Other duties as assigned.
• Minimum of Grade 12 education.
• Certification in Confined Space Entry, Playground Practitioner Basic Welding Course, Crane Operation (0-8 ton is required).
• 2-3 years experience in landscape construction including: maintenance of fences, playground apparatus, irrigation systems, interlocking, and other facilities and in the operation of equipment such as tractors, skid steer loaders, backhoes, front-end loaders etc. and attachments.
• Must hold and provide a copy of a valid and unrestricted Ontario Driver’s License Class AZ minimum (standard and automatic transmission) with a driving record that demonstrates responsible and safe driving behaviour. Note: Applicants with 6 or more points are ineligible for consideration. The successful applicant, who is a new hire, will be required to provide the Corporation with a current drivers abstract (no older than 30 days) and pass a Town administered road test as a condition of employment;
• Demonstrated mechanical aptitude and knowledge of Occupational Health and Safety Act is required.
• Must possess an understanding of the Highway Traffic Act and knowledge of the Occupational Health and Safety Act. Demonstrated effective communication, both oral and written, customer service and problem solving skills. Proficient time management skills and flexibility in adjusting between a variety of duties. Ability to work with minimal supervision and as part of a team.
• Willingness to upgrade skills.
• Equivalent education and experience may be considered.
Applications will be accepted on-line at www.oakville.ca in the current opportunities section no later than midnight on August 20, 2015.
DATED: August 13, 2015
How to Apply
Please provide a cover letter along with your resume as one document.
If this is the first time you are applying for a position, click Apply for this Position.
If you have previously applied for a position, go to the Are you Returning Applicant section to log in.
If you do not receive an email within 24 hours confirming receipt of your application, please contact the Human Resources department from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. EST at (905) 845-6601. We thank all applicants and advise that only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Employment Type: Full Time
Location: Oakville, ON, CA
Posted on: 2015-08-17