OverviewTown of Oakville Senior Supervisor, Parks Operations & Contracted Services Full Time in Oakville, ON
Town of Oakville
Branch Oakville ON CA
Senior Supervisor, Parks Operations & Contracted Services
Writing clearly and succinctly in a variety of communication settings and styles; Assists the Senior Manager, Parks Operations, Harbours & Cemeteries with cost…
Reporting to the Senior Manager, Parks Operations, Harbours & Cemeteries this position has primary responsibility for the overall planning, coordination and supervision/management of contracted maintenance, fleet rentals, playground installation and special event services within the Parks Operations division of the Parks and Open Space department. In addition this position provides technical and operational expertise and daily guidance to operational Parks Supervisors and supports the Senior Manager, Parks Operations, Harbours & Cemeteries with budget preparation and monitoring, data analysis and reports.
What can I expect to do in this role?
As the Senior Supervisor, Parks Operations & Contracted Services you will:
- Supervise, delegate and oversees work carried out by operational Supervisors of Technical & Construction Services, Horticulture & Plant Production, Sportsfields & IPM and Turf including: selecting, motivating, training, managing performance, evaluating and scheduling work according to priorities.
- Plans, coordinates and manages (tendering, award, supervision and payment certification) for all contracted maintenance service operations to ensure compliance with Town Standards, policies, procedures, level of service in accordance with legislated requirements. (e.g. Ministry of Labour, Occupational Health and Safety, Highway Traffic Act etc.).
- Oversees the collection and management of infrastructure asset data, identification of infrastructure deficiencies, preparation of reports and generation of maintenance/repair work orders all in accordance with scheduled maintenance, life cycle analysis and best management practices, Oversees the capital fleet replacement program for non-rolling stock parts equipment. Makes annual recommendations for parks maintenance equipment in concert with the Fleet Manager.
- Assists the Senior Manager, Parks Operations, Harbours & Cemeteries, with advising and coordinating the Parks Operations Supervisory staff complement in regards to best operational practices and procedures. Assists with training programs and daily operations. Training and mentoring of new Supervisors when required.
- Keeps current with ongoing technical and procedural improvements in the municipal field of parks, horticulture, plant production, sportsfields & IPM operations and equipment.
- Investigates operational issues and identifies measures to improve performance and quality of service.
- Assists the Senior Manager, Parks Operations, Harbours & Cemeteries with cost estimates and budget projections in addition to providing support with the monitoring of expenditures, revenues and ensuring appropriate tracking, reporting, record keeping and documentation of activities, accounts and costs.
- Assists with the preparation of reports and presentations for internal and/or external purposes
- Oversees the provision of documentation and evidence supporting the Town’s risk management, insurance and legal representatives in addressing damage or liability claims against the Corporation.
- Oversees administration of the regional maintenance agreement, including coordination with other Town departments.
- As required, performs the general duties of the Parks Supervisor (e.g. coverage for absence) and participates in the regular after hours (weekday & weekend) on-call/standby rotation for the Department of Parks & Open Space throughout the year as required.
- Liaise with other Town departments, public sector agencies, contractors, senior staff, residents and Members of Council regarding service delivery issues.
- Represent the Town and the department in a professional and courteous manner in all dealings with the public, other community groups, agencies and individuals.
- Stands in, as the Senior Manager of Parks Operations, Harbours & Cemeteries, as necessary.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
How do I qualify?
Ideally you have a post-secondary diploma or degree from a recognized institution in Landscape Horticulture, Turf Management, Agriculture, Parks Management or related field coupled with valid pesticide licenses. Your formal education is augmented by progressively responsible positions that have resulted in outstanding leadership complemented by a highly developed understanding of government and service delivery. You possess excellent organizational, analytical, contract administration and budgetary skills, in addition to proficient verbal and written communication abilities as well as project management skills. You also hold a valid and unrestricted Ontario Driver’s License Class DZ minimum with a driving record that demonstrates responsible and safe driving behavior (Note: Applicants with 6 or more points are ineligible for consideration). The successful applicant, who is a new hire, may be required to provide the Corporation with a current drivers abstract (no older than 30 days) and pass a Town administered road test as a condition of employment. A satisfactory criminal record check dated within the last 30 days is also a condition of employment.
In addition, your experience demonstrates the following supervisor leadership competencies:
Strategic Thinking – innovating through analysis and ideas
- meeting the expectations and requirements of internal and external customers/residents; using feedback to improve services and acting with customer/residents in mind;
- translating unit direction into concrete activities, developing work plans with a thorough understanding of the functional area and communicating plans with clarity and commitment;
- seeking clarification and direction from and making effective recommendations to the senior manager, as required;
Engagement – mobilizing people, organizations, partners
- being approachable and able to build rapport well; a good listener, sensitive and patient;
- stepping up to conflicts, reading situations quickly to find common ground and get cooperation;
- being cool under pressure handling stress well and are a settling influence under pressure in a crisis;
- writing clearly and succinctly in a variety of communication settings and styles; getting messages across that have the desired effect;
- promoting collaboration among staff; encouraging and incorporating creativity and learning; providing effective forums for staff to express ideas, views, and concerns individually and as a team;
Management excellence – delivering results through action management, people management and financial & asset management
- using resources (people, funding, material, support) effectively and efficiently to get things done;
- assigning responsibility for tasks and decisions; setting clear objectives, measuring processes necessary to get things done; monitoring process, progress and results, designing feedback loops into work; ensuring work complies with formal procedures and regulations;
- figuring out the processes necessary to get things done; knowing how to organize people and activities; understanding how to separate and combine tasks into efficient work flow; knowing what to measure and how to measure it; recognizing opportunities for synergy and integration where others can’t; simplifying complex processes; getting more out of fewer resources;
- being action oriented and seizing opportunities;
- focusing on what is important, eliminating roadblocks and using own time and time of others effectively;
- providing information people need to know to do their jobs; providing individuals with timely information so that they can make accurate decisions;
- treating staff equitably and fairly;
- dealing firmly and effectively in a timely manner with staffing issues; not allowing problems to fester and making difficult decisions in the best interest in the organization;
- applying sound judgment and evidence-based decision-making in a timely manner; making decisions sometimes with incomplete information and under tight deadlines and pressure; being cognizant of decisions that may be politically sensitive;
- implementing strategies to achieve operational efficiencies and value for money;
- applying and monitoring rigorous systems for financial information management, internal audit, and evaluation in compliance with corporate policies and procedures;
- fulfilling legal obligations and policy requirements.
Accountability and Respect – serving with integrity and respect
- demonstrating values and ethics in personal behavior in keeping with corporate values; is widely trusted; keeping confidences, admitting mistakes and representing self truthfully;
Core Knowledge Required for Success:
You are an experienced leader with a comprehensive knowledge of:
- current and future policies, practices, trends, technology and information relating to parks maintenance and safe work practices, related equipment and supplies, turf, sportsfields, horticulture and integrated pest management and standard operating procedures;
- common word processing, spreadsheet, email and database management techniques and GIS programs and in depth knowledge and understanding of asset management.
- Occupational Health and Safety and Highway Traffic Acts, regulations and directives as these apply;
Teamwork, accountability, dedication, honesty, innovation and respect
- a progressive work environment that promotes a work/life balance and strives to be a great place for great people to do great things;
- a defined benefit pension plan;
- comprehensive health plan complemented with life and disability insurance.
Applications will be accepted on-line at www.oakville.ca in the employment section no later than midnight on January 30, 2015.
DATED: January 23, 2015
How to Apply
Please provide a cover letter along with your resume as one document.
If this is the first time you are applying for a position, click Apply for this Position.
If you have previously applied for a position, go to the Are you Returning Applicant section to log in.
If you do not receive an email within 24 hours confirming receipt of your application, please contact the Human Resources department from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. EST at (905) 845-6601. We thank all applicants and advise that only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Employment Type: Full Time
Location: Oakville, ON, CA
Posted on: 2015-01-24