OverviewTown of Oakville Administrative Assistant – Parks and Open Space Full Time in Oakville, ON
Town of Oakville
Branch Oakville ON CA
Administrative Assistant – Parks and Open Space
You have a Community College diploma specializing in Office Administration with Business or Financial courses….
Temporary Full-Time (Non-UnionT)
Open to all current Town of Oakville employees and external applicants
12 month contract
Reporting to the Director, Parks and Open Space, this position is responsible for providing professional administrative support to the Director of Parks and Open Space. This position will work within a team environment and with other departments within the Commission.
What can I expect to do in this role?
As the Administrative Assistant you will:
- Manage day-to-day administration for the Director of Parks and Open Space including scheduling, resolving calendar conflicts, and providing immediate meeting/event support.
- Provide and/or arrange for the transcribing of correspondence, reports, presentations, etc. for the Management team of Parks and Open Space, researching, proof reading and writing correspondence as required, uploading council reports through EAMS, and ensuring that approvals are done in a timely manner.
- Monitor and respond to incoming e-mail and phone messages for the Director of Parks and Open Space, ensuring that issues of priority are dealt with in a timely manner. Respond to or forward public enquiry e-mails and phone calls.
- Schedule and coordinate meetings, events, conferences and public meetings hosted by the Department, with logistics for meeting location and set-up, confirming availability of outside parties, ensuring material is copied, arranging catering, sign-in sheets, agenda creation and circulation, minute taking, etc.
- Administering all purchasing systems for the Director and as required for the Parks Planning and Development section, managing expense reports, purchase orders, etc.
- Preparing notifications and researching maps for the department using GIS and making edits to GIS as required.
- Drafting, designing, editing and coordinating departmental marketing literature according to content and deadlines.
- Responsible for department website management – write/edit/post department content for the Town’s website.
- Regularly monitor assigned web pages for accuracy, up-to-date links, and content quality.
- Take minutes, set up meetings & keepsdocumentation as requested by the Director.
- Manage the purchase, stocking and distribution of office and stationery supplies for the department. Assist with monthly PCOS on behalf of Directors and Managers, ensuring accurate account allocation and approvals by the deadline.
- Represent the Department as a member of the Corporate CREST organization, providing information and direction inquiries to the department’s policies, procedures and processes.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
How do I qualify?
You have a Community College diploma specializing in Office Administration with Business or Financial courses. Your formal education is augmented by 3 to 5 years of progressively responsible positions that have resulted in outstanding administrative office skills complemented by a highly developed understanding of municipal government and service delivery. An equivalent combination of education and experience may also be considered. Must be analytical in nature in order to assist departmental staff. Also required are the ability to multi task, prioritize work and meet the needs of multiple managers and effective interpersonal skills to enable you to represent the Department in a professional, confidential, credible and courteous manner in dealing with a wide variety of individuals (Members of Council, Senior Management, other government officials, Town residents, Local Boards and the general public). A comprehensive understanding of the processes, policies and procedures for the department, as well as who does what so requests/calls/emails can be redirected to the correct staff member would be a definite asset.
In addition, your experience includes:
- Meeting the expectations and requirements of internal and external customers;
- Represent the Town and the departments in a professional and courteous manner in all dealings with the public and other groups, agencies and individuals.
- Exercising sound judgment and obtaining all relevant facts before making decisions;
- Translating directions into concrete work activities;
- Bringing improvements through innovative solutions, approaches, products or services;
- Working collaboratively and relating effectively to others;
- Embracing change: open to different or new solutions or approaching, and maintaining a positive and constructive attitude in the face of change, setbacks or stressful situations;
- Demonstrating values and ethics in personal behavior in keeping with corporate values; is widely trusted; keeping confidences, admitting mistakes and representing self truthfully;
- Dealing proactively with interpersonal or personal matters that could affect own performance;
- Demonstrating an understanding of team member roles and responsibilities and balancing own needs with those of the team or organization;
- Using government assets and resources appropriately and responsibly by understanding and applying related government policies;
- Planning and adjusting work based on a thorough understanding of requirements and prioritizing and seeking clarification and direction, as appropriate;
- Making well-thought-out recommendations to management;
- Managing own work activities in light of changing priorities;
- Developing effective networks by seeking out opportunities for collaboration and strategic alliances.
- Shorthand or minute taking skills.
- Proofreading, editing and writing skills to support management in correspondence, report writing and preparing presentation materials.
Core Knowledge Required for Success:
- You are an experienced professional with a comprehensive knowledge of:
- Ability to adapt to changes in policies, practices, trends, technology and information;
- Acts, regulations and directives as they apply;
- Strong system experience in Microsoft Office products, with the experience in order to be the departmental expert in Word and PowerPoint;
- Experience in integrated ERP JD Edwards and/or Open Text and other system experience would be an asset.
Strategic Thinking – thinking things through
Engagement – working effectively with people organizations and partners
Management excellence – delivering results through own work, relationships and responsibilities
Accountability and Respect – serving with integrity and respect
Teamwork, accountability, dedication, honesty, innovation and respect.
A progressive work environment that promotes a work/life balance and strives to be a great place for great people to do great things.
Applications for this position must be submitted on oakville.ca no later than midnight on February 14, 2018.
DATED: February 7, 2018
Employment Type: Full Time
Location: Oakville, ON, CA
Posted on: 2018-02-11