Employment Type: Freelance
Posted on: 2016-09-21
Tiller Engineering Deputy Lead Surveyor- Lower Churchill project – Muskrat Falls Contract in St. John’s, NL
Branch St. John’s NL CA
Deputy Lead Surveyor- Lower Churchill project – Muskrat Falls
St. John’s, NL
Perform spot checks on electronic layout files using AutoCAD (and any other required tools) to verify compliance with Engineer’s drawings and models, and/or to…
PRINCIPAL ACTIVITIES, DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
(Note: the following is being executed as a contract scope of work):
The duties and job functions of the Deputy Lead Surveyor shall include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Ensure contractors’ survey plans are developed and implemented, including adherence to Survey Engineering Standards, accuracies and methods of survey;
- Ensure contractors prepare detailed procedures for all survey activities, including calibration of survey equipment, description and operation of all systems, checklists, survey work, processing of data and reporting;
- Ensure contractors’ survey equipment and systems are well maintained, calibrated and tested, and utilize current technology;
- Responsible, in conjunction with the Lead Surveyor, for oversight, monitoring and surveillance of all survey activities performed by site contractors for accuracy, completeness and compliance to specified requirements.
- Maintain and periodically check the primary control points, and check secondary control points established by contractors;
- Review various survey markers (theoretical lines, pay lines and penalty lines) set by site contractors for quantity measurements.
- Monitor all site contractors’ works through identification of witness and hold points on Inspection and Test Plans.
- Identify any errors, problems or potential problems that may result in delays or non-acceptance of works, or jeopardize another contractor’s work. Document any non-conformances.
- Review of the contractors’ electronic data, survey reports, field logbook entries, “As-Built” survey mark-ups on drawings, and contractors’ records.
- Witness and review contractors’ survey work for installation of mechanical equipment and generation systems including dimensional control survey services for checking the installation of these systems;
- Witness and ensure contractor carries out pre-installation surveys of the worksite(s);
- Ensure contractors submits results of pre-installation survey(s) to Engineer for review and acceptance;
- Perform spot checks on electronic layout files using AutoCAD (and any other required tools) to verify compliance with Engineer’s drawings and models, and/or to establish independent layout check files.
- Participate in survey audits.
- Technical Diploma in Survey Engineering is preferred
RELEVANT WORK EXPERIENCE AND REQUIRED COMPETENCIES:
- 5 to 10 years of experience on civil construction projects in a survey capacity;
- Experienced with survey equipment and systems normally utilized in heavy civil and mechanical construction;
- Experience in performing survey-related QA/QC oversight, monitoring, and surveillance activities on civil construction projects.
- Ability to read and interpret drawings, specifications, codes and standards.
- Experience with construction of large hydroelectric projects considered an asset.
- Previous experience with auditing survey QA programs considered an asset.
- AutoCAD experience.
JOB REQUIREMENTS, WORKING CONDITIONS, ETC.:
- Safety oriented.
- Demonstrated willingness to adhere to the Nalcor’s vision and core values;
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to interact with all stakeholders;
- Must demonstrate accountability and ownership for the assigned work area;
- Solid knowledge of survey engineering principles, standards and regulations relating to construction;
- Good communication skills;
- Self-starter who identifies priority tasks and puts plans in place to complete;
- Must be a team player but maintain the ability to work independently;
- Demonstrated understanding of Quality Assurance principles;
- Good AutoCAD use capability.
Job Type: Contract