OverviewThe York School Controller / Finance Manager Contract in Toronto, ON
The York School
Branch Toronto ON CA
Controller / Finance Manager
At The York School, our mission is to develop inquiring, knowledgeable and caring young people who are engaged citizens of the world….
CONTROLLER / FINANCE MANAGER
One Year Contract Position
The York School is a co-educational, non-denominational, independent day school, renowned for its challenging academic International Baccalaureate (IB) programme and commitment to experiential learning – extending all over Toronto, Canada and the world. Our highly trained faculty receive support and training to be leading professionals in their fields and in the IB Curriculum, using cutting-edge classroom technology.
What sets us apart from other schools is that our tradition is innovation. We welcome applicants who are like us – dynamic and innovative, collaborative, progressive and global-minded. The York School offers an inclusive culture and values creativity, individuality and new ideas.
The Controller/Finance Manager (Controller) reports to the CFO and Head of School and is responsible for the day-to-day management of the finances and accounting functions of the school. The Controller provides accurate and timely information for the organization, including analysis, budgeting and financial reporting, maintains internal control of the resources of the School and ensures the school is in compliance with external regulations. In these areas, the Controller is advisor to the Head and other members of the Executive and Leadership Team. The Controller directly supervises a staff of 3 including our Payroll Coordinator/A/P Clerk, A/R Clerk and Shop Manager.
- Monitors the financial health of the school.
- Responsible for all aspects of financial planning, accounting, budgeting, cost control, audit compliance and record keeping for the School.
- Preparation of the master budget for the school’s yearly finances, recommends fee and salary increases to the Head and Board of Directors.
- Preparation of financial data to provide audit trails and supporting material for the preparation of professional audits. Liaises with external auditors.
- Manages cost controls, bank financing and cash flow to minimize interest expense.
- Supervises accounting and the daily operation of the business office function, including: cash flow management, parent billing, collection of accounts receivable, posting and payment of accounts payable, recording and depositing of cash receipts, maintaining records of account, preparing periodic financial statements.
- Advises on overdue accounts receivable.
- Produce monthly financial statements for review by the Finance Committee and Board of Directors.
- Other duties as assigned.
Facilities, Human Resources & Administration
- Manages academic salary grids and oversees the processing of payroll functions.
- Oversees preparation of staff and student tax receipts – T4’s, T4A’s, T2202A’s, among others.
- Ensure up-to-date compliance with federal and provincial legislation and the timely completion of related forms and returns.
- Oversees the operation of the The York Shop.
- Manages the relationships with third party suppliers including food service and uniforms.
- Responsible for renovation and construction budgeting and financing.
- Oversees rental of school facilities by non-school organizations.
- Obtains insurance certificates for facilities and events as necessary based on negotiated insurance policies.
- Oversees financial and risk management considerations of the co-curricular programmes.
QUALIFICATIONS & ATTRIBUTES
- Undergraduate Degree preferably in Business.
- Accounting Designation – CA, CMA, CPA.
- Seven or more years’ experience in a related field is an asset.
- Able to deal with multiple priorities and competing demands in a fast-paced environment.
- Ability to work effectively in a fast-paced and busy team environment.
- Outstanding work ethic and initiative.
- Ability to interact with students, parents and teachers cheerfully, enthusiastically, courteously, patiently and with discretion.
- Strong organizational and time management skills.
- A proactive team player who is flexible and self-motivated with a “How can I help?” attitude.
- Proficiency in MS Office is essential, Financial Edge and Google Applications an asset.
- Previous Independent School experience considered an asset.
JOIN OUR COMMUNITY
Like our students, Teachers and Staff at The York School are inquiring, knowledgeable, caring and engaged citizens of the world. Leaders in their field, they are collaborative, open to change and committed to improving lives through education. We are committed to professional development, and provide a competitive compensation and benefit package to our employees.
ACCESSIBILITY & EQUAL OPPORTUNITY AT THE YORK SCHOOL
At The York School, our mission is to develop inquiring, knowledgeable and caring young people who are engaged citizens of the world. As such, we are an equal opportunity employer and encourage all qualified candidates to apply. Upon request, we will accommodate individual needs for applicants with disabilities within our recruitment process.
HOW TO APPLY
Qualified candidates should apply by submitting an application including resume and cover letter by February 2, 2017 .
We thank all candidates for their applications; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Employment Type: Freelance
Location: Toronto, ON, CA
Posted on: 2017-01-23