OverviewThe Corporation of the City of Markham Summer Camp Supervisor – Varley Art Gallery Internship in Markham, ON
The Corporation of the City of Markham
Branch Markham ON CA
Summer Camp Supervisor – Varley Art Gallery
Currently enrolled in, a post-secondary institution in education, visual arts, design, media arts, art history, arts administration, early childhood education…
Applications are now being accepted for the Varley Art Gallery Camp Supervisor position in the Culture Services Department, Community and Fire Services Commission. To apply for this position, please submit your cover letter and resume on-line before January 31, 2017.
Manages campers weekly in the Varley Art Gallerys Summer Art Camps with responsibilities including curriculum and art-based program planning, program delivery and administration. Oversees up to 44 campers ranging from 3 to 13 years of age, while supervising and coaching up to 10-15 staff including counsellors, specialists, and volunteers.
Through effective leadership and programming, children and youth to develop skills, make friends, socialize and build self-esteem. Accountable for day-to-day operations under the guidance of the Summer Program Coordinator, ensuring camp activities are safe, educational, inclusive, high quality and meets the Gallerys overall goals.
One of the Camp Supervisors will focus on camp administration for the Summer Art Camps.
- Conducts extensive research in preparation for program planning, including academic and art resource materials and texts. Is responsible for completion of detailed program plan and handouts. Works in close collaboration with the Summer Program Coordinator to ensure programs are of the highest standard and appropriate for diverse learners or varying ages and abilities.
- Organizes daily camp activities according to High Five principles and City of Markham policies, ensuring programming is adapted to camper needs with regards to quality, safety, hygiene, weather, breaks etc. Creates clear and detail art supply needs according to budget provided by the Summer Program Coordinator,
- Delivers quality art programming through a combination of lectures, demonstrations, visual presentations, creative play and exercises while adapting to a diverse group of learners.
- Coaches and mentors Summer Camp Specialists with program planning preparation, delivery and assessment strategies.
- Organizes and assists with set-up and clean-up of camp events, activities and programs.
- Prioritizes child well-being, safety and protection throughout the camp. Evaluates situations for potential risks to the safety, protection and well-being of campers and staff, proactively taking mitigating actions to address such risks.
- Acts as a leader role model, fostering a positive, open and creative learning environment where people feel included as members of a team and are motivated to work towards common goals.
- Serves as a liaison with parents of campers, reinforcing City of Markham customer service, diversity and inclusion (special needs, ethno-cultural, English as second language, socio-economic).
- Completes extensive training and orientation of the content of the gallery’s current exhibitions.
- Responsible for touring campers through the exhibition galleries in an educational capacity under the direction of the Summer Program Coordinator, Educational Coordinator and Curator. Ensures that themes and concepts in the exhibition are consistently and accurately reflected in studio program delivery.
- Participates in the orientation, training, coaching and recognition to staff and volunteers, working in conjunction with full-time culture staff.
- Assists with the on-going training, coaching and recognition to staff and volunteers. Provides informal feedback and formal feedback at weekly staff meetings and completes formal performance assessments for all direct reports.
- Controls supplies and equipment inventory for sessions, ensuring that all necessary supplies and equipment are ordered and received in accordance with City policies.
- Responsible for attendance records, camp logbooks as well as participates in sign in and sign out procedures.
- Demonstrates the confidence and ability to make decisions independently of peers and in the best interests of the campers. Resolves problems and conflicts effectively as they arise.
- Reports all incidents promptly and thoroughly to the Summer Program Coordinator using incident report forms and processes. Maintains camp documentation, including registration information, permission and waiver forms, attendance records, incident reports and timesheets.
- Completes a full written report on the camp session including feedback and recommendations to the Summer Camp Program Coordinator weekly.
- Responsible for effective and efficient communication to all stakeholders including parents, campers staff and special guests as well as managing phone and e-mail inquiries in a timely manner
- Ensures adherence of policies and procedures working closely with other supervisors to ensure consistency under the guidance of the Summer Program Coordinator and Program Coordinator.
- Serves as an ambassador for the Corporation of the City of Markham, liaising with Camp Supervisors and counsellors, and resolving any issues with the support of the Program Coordinator. Displays a heightened sense of customer service.
- Other duties as required.
Education: Currently enrolled in, a post-secondary institution in education, visual arts, design, media arts, art history, arts administration, early childhood education or related field.
Experience: Past camp experience demonstrating significant leadership capabilities. Extensive knowledge of program planning, visual art practice, arts history, arts administration and child development stages. Demonstrated experience developing, organizing and carrying out both regular daily and special programs. Knowledge of art gallery best practices an asset.
Expertise in any of the following areas would be an asset: drawing, painting, sculpture, fashion design, interior design, photography or digital media.
The Varley Art Gallery is hiring 5 Summer Camp Supervisors; to oversee camp administration (1), to supervise pre-school camps for ages 3-5 years (1) and primary through intermediate camps for ages 5-13 years (4).
Licenses/Certifications: Current Standard First Aid with CPR C required; HIGH FIVE Healthy Child Development is required; HIGH FIVE Quest is an asset; Crisis Prevention Intervention (CPI) is an asset
Other: Computer skills (Microsoft Office applications, Adobe Acrobat); CLASS applications are an asset. Demonstrates creativity and innovation in program planning skills.
All required certificates must be in good standing by the end of May 2017.
Eligibility in the Young Canada Works program in Canadian Heritage may be required.
Summer student applicants must be currently enrolled full time in an educational institution and must also be returning full time for the fall season.
The City of Markham is committed to providing accommodations for people with disabilities. If you require accommodation, please contact the HR Department with your requirements.
We thank all applicants who have applied, however only those selected for an interview will be contacted. All offers of employment for this position will be conditional on satisfactory reference checks and vulnerable sector screening checks as required for the City of Markham.
Employment Type: Internship
Location: Markham, ON, CA
Posted on: 2017-01-24