OverviewThe City of Red Deer Laboratory Technician – Water Section Full Time in Red Deer, AB
The City of Red Deer
Branch Red Deer AB CA
Laboratory Technician – Water Section
Red Deer, AB
Post Secondary Diploma in Chemistry or related discipline. Hazard Assessment / WHIMIS / 1st AID/CPR / TDG / Valid Class 5 Drivers License….
The Water Treatment Plant Laboratory Technician is responsible for the effective and reliable operation of the Waterworks laboratory including inventory, lab’ databases, staff training, regulatory and compliance reporting. Key responsibilities are to ensure work functions have compliance to established best practice, policies and procedures, OH&S, and the AENV Approval to Operate.
- Post Secondary Diploma in Chemistry or related discipline
- Completion of the following courses are strong assets:
- Inorganic Chemistry, Industrial Hygiene, Microbiology and Instrumentation
- Must successfully pass all safety certificate courses currently required and others to be defined from time to time by the Province or by the City
- Hazard Assessment / WHIMIS / 1st AID/CPR / TDG / Valid Class 5 Drivers License
- 2 years (minimum) laboratory technician experience in a Water Treatment Plant or comparable environment
- Exceptional attention to detail
- Well developed verbal and written communications skills, and strong interpersonal skills
- Demonstrated technical aptitude including the ability to use a wide range of laboratory testing equipment
- Strong computer aptitude including demonstrated proficiency with databases, spreadsheets and word-processing software
- The incumbent must stay current with emerging technologies and legislation changes and assess the impact they could have on WS Operations
Specific Demands of the Job:
- Well managed water quality testing facilities and programs are essential to mitigating the Cities liability in any water related health or damage claims
- This position will require the incumbents to work with toxic chemicals on a daily basis in a hazardous work environment; ensure laboratory safety SOP’s are in place.
- Incumbents may be required to assist with external audits, spot inspections and other reviews to ensure compliance with legislated requirements
- This position has significant impact on public safety. The accountability for safe water treatment and distribution for residents and their responsibility for regulatory compliance and reporting may expose incumbents to personal liability in the event of a major systems failure
Affiliation: CUPE, Local 417
Hours of Work: 80 hours biweekly. Some evening and weekend work may be required.
LTWS – Laboratory Technician – Water Section.pdf
Applications are being accepted until February 17, 2017
Employment Type: Full Time
Location: Red Deer, AB, CA
Posted on: 2017-02-10