OverviewThe British Columbia Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals Kennel Technician (Temporary Full-time) Temporary in Victoria, BC
The British Columbia Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals
Branch Victoria BC CA
Kennel Technician (Temporary Full-time)
Help us make a difference. We are a non-profit charitable organization dedicated to protecting and enhancing the quality of life for domestic, farm and wild…
Join an international leader in animal welfare!
The BC SPCA was established over 120 years ago and we continue to grow stronger every year. We are a non-profit charitable organization dedicated to protecting and enhancing the quality of life for domestic, farm and wild animals in British Columbia. Today we have 43 locations throughout BC that provide a wide range of services and programs to help more than 45,000 animals in distress and need each year.
Our Victoria Branch is looking to fill a temporary full-time Kennel Technician position. You are a helpful, energetic team player who will participate in all animal care duties and ensure that optimal levels of care are administered to the animals based on the Five Freedoms. You have experience in customer relations and previous experience in animal husbandry. You take direction well and are able to multi-task in a busy animal shelter environment.
You care deeply about animals and uphold the highest animal care standards. Under the direction of the Branch Manager your experience with animals will assist you:
- To maintain the entire physical plant in a clean, sanitary, and efficient manner on an ongoing basis and in a collaborative manner
- To ensure kennels, runs, and cat cages are kept in a manner that is best suited for the animal’s health and welfare as per the ShelterSense protocols
- To treat animals humanely, with compassion and concern, and in a manner consistent with the BC SPCA’s five freedoms
- To monitor the health and welfare of the animals through the maintenance of up-to-date kennel cards, recording information on whiteboard and daily logs, and completing daily welfare sheets
- Provide excellent customer service at all times, both in person and via telephone or electronic communication
- To maintain animals on a proper diet ensuring daily feeding, watering, exercise, and enrichment
- To perform general bathing and grooming of animals
- Provide excellent customer service at all times, both in person and on the telephone or electronic communications
- To assist with admissions/intake procedures on incoming animals
- To perform other duties as assigned
Required Skills, Knowledge and Abilities:
- High school diploma or equivalent
- Valid Class 5 BC Drivers’ License
- A sound knowledge of animals, their breeds, characteristics and common diseases
- Previous kennel or animal care experience will be considered an asset
- Demonstrable interest in all aspects of animal welfare
- Position is physically demanding and includes heavy lifting, pushing and pulling which requires an individual with the ability to maintain a level of fitness and endurance to fulfill the required duties
- Positive attitude and a strong desire to provide excellent customer service
- Ability to prioritize demands on time
- Familiar with working in a union environment
- Must be able to work with other staff, volunteers, and the public in a positive, practical manner and be able to work with minimum supervision
- Computer experience: Windows, Microsoft Office (Outlook, Word, Excel)
- Flexible and able to work weekdays, weekends and statutory holidays
If you are interested in being a part of the BC SPCA team and are legally entitled to work in Canada, complete the attached employment application (PDF) and email it along your resume and cover letter (in Word or PDF format) to: [email protected] . Help us make a difference.
To ensure delivery, please use the following subject line for your email: “BC SPCA Job Posting – Victoria-KT Temp”.
We thank you for your interest in the BC SPCA; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. No telephone calls please.
The BC SPCA is a registered not-for-profit organization BN 11881 9036 RR0001 .
Employment Type: Temporary
Location: Victoria, BC, CA
Posted on: 2016-09-21