OverviewThe British Columbia Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (BC SPCA) Regional Animal Management Support Full Time in Okanagan, BC
The British Columbia Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (BC SPCA)
Branch Okanagan BC CA
Regional Animal Management Support
Through our 42 locations throughout BC and a provincial office in Vancouver, the BC SPCA provides a wide range of services and programs to help more than 45,000…
Join an International Leader in Animal Welfare
The BC SPCA is looking to fill the following opportunity:
Regional Animal Management Support – Kelowna, BC
The BC SPCA is 120 years young and growing stronger every year. We are a non-profit charitable organization dedicated to protecting and enhancing the quality of life for domestic, farm and wild animals in British Columbia. Through our 42 locations throughout BC and a provincial office in Vancouver, the BC SPCA provides a wide range of services and programs to help more than 45,000 animals in distress and need each year.
We are recruiting for a Regional Animal Management Support position. Reporting to the Regional Manager this full-time position will be based in Kelowna. The successful candidate will oversee the overall flow of animals in the interior and will work with each Branch Manager in the region to ensure the effective implementation and maintenance of animal management policies and procedures by staff and volunteers.
The successful candidate of this support role will work towards meeting the Standards of Care for Animals as set out in the ASV Guidelines and supporting the ShelterSense Programs of the BCSPCA. This position is responsible for increasing the flow through of animals in their region in order to achieve length of stay and live release rate targets.
You will work collaboratively with all relevant stakeholders to coordinate and consult on issues as they relate to animal management in the Branches. You have a genuine compassion for animals. You have a post secondary education and having an Animal Health Technician (AHT) designation is a definite asset. You have a philosophical harmony with the BC SPCA policies, programs and protocols.
Your strong administrative skills have provided you with the ability to maintain records and produce clear written reports. You are proficient at Microsoft Office Suite of programs and have the ability to learn new software quickly.
Duties & Responsibilities may include but are not limited to:
- Animal Management
- Provide quarterly written reports to Regional Managers detailing animal management observations made during shelter visits, and notes successes and areas of opportunity relating to the implementation of animal management practices
- Provide support to the Branch Managers and Regional Managers for case management through guidance from Manager, Animal Welfare
- Ensure the shelters develop a database with approved community and shelter resources is developed and kept up to date for their Region
- Build relationships with rescues and municipal pounds to received and send animals
- Provide ongoing training and support in animal management to Branch Managers, staff and volunteers
- Support other SPCA departments as required for companion animal welfare issues, including assessment and care of seized animals
- Implementation, maintenance, and refinement of animal management systems
- Monitors the physical holding capacity of animals in each branch within their region
- Calculates and monitors the adoption driven capacity (capacity for care) for each shelter
- Monitors the length of stay of animals and assists shelters in reducing the stay through transfers and adoption promotions
- Assists shelters in improving live release rates by collaborating with other shelters or approved rescues
- Improves intake numbers by improving the flow through of animals in a shelter
- Transfers animals through the Drive for Lives program in order to reduce length of stay and/or to improve intake numbers
- First contact for cruelty department for seized animals and works with shelters in the flow through and placement of those animals
- Provides support for the Standards of Care for Animals as set out in the ASV Guidelines and gives guidance and support on shelter audits
- Provides support for ShelterSense programs, including DogSense, CatSense, and RabbitSense
- Visits shelters in their region on a regular basis dependent on weather and distance
In the subject line, please quote ‘SPCA Job Posting – RAMS Interior’
We thank you for your interest in the BC SPCA, however; only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. No telephone calls please.
The BC SPCA is a Registered Charity BN 11881 9036 RR0001
Employment Type: Full Time
Location: Okanagan, BC, CA
Posted on: 2015-09-24