OverviewThe British Columbia Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals Animal Welfare Officer (Part-time) Part Time in Victoria, BC
The British Columbia Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals
Branch Victoria BC CA
Animal Welfare Officer (Part-time)
Help us make a difference. We are a non-profit charitable organization dedicated to protecting and enhancing the quality of life for domestic, farm and wild…
Join an international leader in animal welfare!
The BC SPCA was established over 120 years ago and we continue to grow stronger every year. We are a non-profit charitable organization dedicated to protecting and enhancing the quality of life for domestic, farm and wild animals in British Columbia. Today we have 44 locations throughout BC that provide a wide range of services and programs to help more than 45,000 animals in distress and need each year.
Our Victoria Branch is seeking a part-time Animal Welfare Officer with the flexibility to cover shifts on short notice – including weekdays, weekends and statutory holidays. The shift for this position is two days per week and as needed.
This position will carry out the full range of duties as an Animal Welfare Officer relating to all federal and provincial laws relevant to animals. This position will conduct investigations into animal abuse and ensure that all complaints are properly and promptly investigated and that all actions taken are recorded in sufficient detail. The successful candidate will respond to calls in an effective, efficient and caring manner and carry out cruelty investigations in an objective, effective and diplomatic manner.
The successful candidate will give due regard in dealing with all animal related calls to minimize the degree of suffering and reduce the change of further injury to the animal as well as ensure personal and public safety. You will respond to situations using your knowledge of animal behavior, animal handling techniques and proper use of rescue equipment. You will offer your expertise to assist all statutory authorities as requested.
Required Skills, Knowledge and Abilities:
- post-secondary education in a related field (preferred)
- Valid Class 5 BC Drivers’ License and current driver’s abstract
- A sound knowledge of animals, their breeds, characteristics and more common diseases ; demonstrated interest in all aspects of animal welfare
- Demonstrated knowledge of federal, provincial and municipal laws and regulations regarding animals, animal welfare, and related activities
- knowledge of the geography of the Branch’s warrant area in general and the Shelters’ warrant area in particular
- Position is physically demanding and includes heavy lifting, pushing and pulling which requires an individual with the ability to maintain a level of fitness and endurance to fulfill the required duties
- Passed the Special Provincial Constable and the Animal Protection Officer Exams
- Must be an Special Provincial Constable or eligible to be approved by the Ministry of the Attorney General for appointment as a Special Provincial Constable under the Police Act
- High level of emotional intelligence; organized and can plan effectively
- Must be able to work with other staff, volunteers, and the public in a positive, practical manner and be able to work with minimum supervision
- Positive attitude and a strong desire to provide excellent customer service
- Ability to prioritize demands on time
- Familiar with working in a union environment
- Computer experience: Windows, Microsoft Office (Outlook, Word, Excel)
- Flexible and able to work weekdays, weekends and statutory holidays
If you have a passion for animal welfare, have the qualifications above and are legally entitled to work in Canada, complete the attached employment application (PDF) and email it along with your resume and cover letter (in Word or PDF format) no later than Mar 1, 2017 to: [email protected] . Help us make a difference.
To ensure delivery, please use the following subject line for your email: “BC SPCA Job Posting – Victoria AWO”.
We thank you for your interest in the BC SPCA; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. No telephone calls please.
The BC SPCA is a registered not-for-profit organization BN 11881 9036 RR0001 .
Employment Type: Part Time
Location: Victoria, BC, CA
Posted on: 2017-02-11