OverviewThales System Design Specialist – Senior Full Time in Burnaby, BC
Branch Burnaby BC CA
System Design Specialist – Senior
Specifications, and military and industry based standards and regulatory. Is a global technology leader for the Defence & Security and the Aerospace….
is a global technology leader for the Defence & Security and the Aerospace & Transport markets. The company generated revenues of €14bn annually. It employs over 65,000 employees in 50 countries. Leveraging a global network of more than 22,000 high-level researchers while investing 17% of its revenue into Research & Development, Thales offers an unmatched capability to develop and deploy critical information systems.
Established in 1972, Thales Canada is a leading electronic solutions provider for the Transportation, Defence & Security, and Aerospace sectors. Thales Canada employs 1,400 staff across main sites located in Montreal, Quebec City, Ottawa, Toronto and Vancouver.
Thales is known for its commitment
to employees, outlined in its human resources policy: Thales Together . Staff enjoy a competitive salary and benefits package, as well as opportunities to develop professionally, and define their career paths.
If you have a passion for innovation and are interested in joining a dynamic, fast-paced team, Thales may be the right fit for you. Currently, we have an opening for a/an:
Job Title: Systems Design Specialist
Department: System Design
To perform system design, analysis, modelling and simulation to specify and verify train control systems developed. To develop and define system design features to meet
Customer requirements. To analyse and evaluate designs to verify compliance with System technical requirements. To develop and define ATC Subsystems requirements. To analyse and evaluate ATC system performance and prepare associated technical contract deliverables.
Reporting to the Project Systems Specialist, the incumbent is accountable for performing the design work correctly, within cost and schedule limits, as defined in approved work packages. The System Engineer typically works with a team of engineers to define what will be designed, how it will perform and how it will be determined that it is working correctly .
· Converts Customer requirements into conceptual designs and prepares associated documentation by performing operational analyses, simulations and technical trade-off studies evaluating alternative design configurations and functional features.
· Similarly creates new concepts or modifies existing concepts to fulfil customer requirements.
· Prepares system & subsystem requirement specifications, interface requirements and test requirement documents by analysing, decomposing modelling and refining customer requirements and typical train control domain requirements.
· Performs technical/engineering tasks to define system design and subsystem requirements details. Analysis and simulations are performed as necessary to identify design feasibility & driving requirements.
· Prepares and supports preparation of design & development proposals based on a knowledge of ATC technology, customer requirements and backed by analysis, simulation and trade-off of key design driving requirements.
· Presents technical design proposals and reports to customers and/or other engineering/management groups in clear, complete, concise and non-ambiguous terms.
· Prepares specialized ATC systems analyses based on polytechnic engineering skills and knowledge of the ATCS domain.
· Prepares specialised ATC system analyses based on polytechnic engineering skills and detail knowledge of the ATCS domain, covering one or more of the following:
· Logic and Continuous Controls Design;
· Safety distance calculations;
· Headway simulations;
· Radio/Network knowledge including RF.
· Supplies and promotes project management and financial control principles and methods, as required at his level, by manager.
· Proposes work package estimates and descriptions based on a knowledge of the work and project requirements.
Key Skills and Qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree in Electrical, Computers, or Systems Engineering or equivalent
- minimum of 4-10 years relatable experience
- Experience with generic railway signaling techniques, Automatic Train Control system specifications, and military and industry based standards and regulatory norms.
- Experience with specification-driven hardware and software systems design and associated tools i.e Doors.
- Familiarity with broad based engineering skill set and experience:
· Mechanical & dynamic motion analysis.
· Experience with software intensive systems, modern software development methodology methods, processes, and tools
· Testing and Troubleshooting of Electromechanical and software systems
· Integration of complex systems
· Signal processing and the application of digital filtering and signal recognition.
· Electromagnetic Compatibility ( EMC ).
· Reliability, Availability, Maintainability and Safety (RAMS).
An IRSE Principles Systems designer/ System designer license is desirable.
If this opportunity interests you, please visit www.thalesgroup.com/careers/ and apply using our e-staffing tool. Thales thanks all applicants for their interest, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Thales is committed to employment equity and diversity in the workplace and welcomes applicants from the four designated groups (women, persons with disabilities, visible minorities, and aboriginals) to apply for employment.
Employment Type: Full Time
Location: Burnaby, BC, CA
Posted on: 2015-08-16