OverviewTeck Geologist (Temporary 2 month contract) Temporary in Logan Lake, BC
Branch Logan Lake BC CA
Geologist (Temporary 2 month contract)
Logan Lake, BC
Ensures activities are consistent with EHS policies and management systems, as guided by the Charter of Corporate Responsibility, the Code of Business,…
We are currently hiring for the Role of Geologist at our Highland Valley Copper Mine in Logan Lake, BC.
Reporting to the Project Geologist, the Geologist is the first level of Field Exploration, responsible for conducting the search for mineral deposits by planning, administering and executing effective programs. Primary responsibilities will be core logging.
- Makes field observations and understand the general regional geological context and relevant ore deposit models at play on the project. Conducts geochemical sampling, logs core and organizes data.
- Collects and processes geological and geochemical data;
- Ensures activities are consistent with EHS policies and management systems, as guided by the Charter of Corporate Responsibility, the Code of Business, Environmental and Health and Safety Practices and the EHS Management Standards;
- Assists in the preparation of technical reports;
- Maintain and develop professional competencies by keeping abreast of technical advances and expanding personal technical knowledge;
- Contribute to the planning of projects by collecting and interpreting field observations and suggesting possible future action steps;
- Communicate with supervisor on a regular basis and report all material exploration results on a timely basis;
- Promotes a safety leadership culture by ensuring that proper safety practices are followed in accordance with Teck’s health and safety policies;
- Actively seeks opportunities to recognize health and safety hazards, resolves safety issues and works to mitigate associated risks in the workplace.
- Completion of a post-secondary geoscience degree is required, some field or academic project work would be beneficial;
- 1-2 years of BC porphyry logging;
- Strong observational skills;
- Good written and oral English, secondary language is an asset;
- Effective communication skills, written and verbal;
- Good critical thinking, data analysis and problem solving skills;
- Ability to travel within the region as required.
- Pursues everything with energy, empowers others, and shares ownership and accountability for project outcomes.
- Focuses on outcome and completion of all tasks and assignments.
- Can analyze data and uses logical methods to solve problems.
- Creates focus on priorities, sets objectives and goals, measures performance and evaluates results.
- Keeps confidence with others and is truthful and direct.
- Is receptive to feedback and takes conscious approach to learn and improve.
- Can manage one’s own time, sets clear objectives and monitors progress and results. Is aware of personal limitations and seeks ways to improve, is aware of how actions affect others.
- Exercises good listening skills and clearly communicates outcomes with others. Uses concise language to eliminate ambiguity.
At Teck, we value diversity. Our teams work collaboratively and respect each person’s unique perspective and contribution.
We wish to thank all applicants for their interest and effort in applying for the position; however, only candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.
Your application to this posting is deemed to be your consent to the collection, use and necessary disclosure of personal information for the purposes of recruitment. Teck respects the privacy of all applicants and the confidentiality of personal information.
Teck is a diversified resource company committed to responsible mining and mineral development with major business units focused on copper, steelmaking coal, zinc and energy. Headquartered in Vancouver, Canada, its shares are listed on the Toronto Stock Exchange under the symbols TCK.A and TCK.B and the New York Stock Exchange under the symbol TCK. Teck has been named to the Dow Jones Sustainability World Index (DJSI) for the fifth straight year, indicating that Teck’s sustainability practices rank in the top 10 per cent of the world’s 2,500 largest public companies. Further information about Teck can be found at www.teck.com .
Employment Type: Temporary
Location: Logan Lake, BC, CA
Posted on: 2015-08-01