OverviewSupervisor, Strategic Department Communications in Newmarket, ON
Branch Newmarket ON CA
Supervisor, Strategic Department Communications
to work on innovative projects that foster economic… and working with Corporate Communications on projects/initiatives that may have implications for the…
Draw on your passion. Shape our community.
York Region is one of Canada’s fastest growing municipalities and as part of our diverse and highly engaged team, you’ll have the opportunity to work on innovative projects that foster economic vitality, further a sustainable environment, enhance our public services and promote a healthy community. York Region is an equal opportunity employer committed to an inclusive, barrier-free recruitment and selection process and as we grow, it’s important that our workforce reflect the citizens we serve. At the Region, we respect, encourage, and celebrate our diversity. If contacted for an employment opportunity, please advise if you require accommodation.
Reporting to the Manager, Strategic Department Communications, is responsible for assisting in developing, coordinating, planning and implementing events, marketing campaigns, communication strategies and public relations, for the Department; leading project teams for Department initiatives, as assigned; supervising the development, design, editing, production and distribution of communication material using all media (i.e. print, multi-media, web, etc.); ensuring compliance with corporate and Department standards; providing communications advice and support to management on a wide range of issues; and working with Corporate Communications on projects/initiatives that may have implications for the corporation, as applicable.
• Successful completion of a University Degree in Journalism, Communications or related field or approved equivalent combination of education and experience.
• Minimum three (3) years supervisory or leadership experience in the design of strategic communication programs and initiatives for the development and implementation of communication strategies, including problem solving and analysis, project management and client relations.
• Experience in developing, designing, editing, and publishing manuals, marketing publications, inter/intranet communications.
• Experience in issues management and providing communication advice to management.
• Experience in or knowledge of the public sector.
• Strong verbal and writing skills including experience in speechwriting, presentations and media relations.
• Demonstrated knowledge of current communication theory, processes and practices including internal and external communications, media relations and social media.
• Demonstrated knowledge of relevant Standards, Acts and Regulations.
• Knowledge of and demonstrated ability in corporate core competencies including customer service, communication, team work, initiative/self management, accountability, and flexibility/adaptability.
• Management competencies including results/achievement focus, human resources and financial management, leadership, business planning, decision making/judgement, representation, professionalism and job knowledge.
• Computer literacy utilizing MS Office software applications with proficiency in word processing, spreadsheet, data base, presentations, graphics, desktop publishing and other communications software.
• Contemporary staff supervisory skills including knowledge of collective agreement administration and interpretation, labour relations principles and practices, and relevant employment legislation.
• Demonstrates openness, flexibility and adaptability by shifting priorities to meet organizational needs and through a willingness to accept change and meet the changing needs and demands of clients, stakeholder and their communities.
• With a short term outlook, develops and implements strategies in alignment with Regional and Department strategic goals that reflect understanding of organizational goals and strategies and how they relate to the work of their team.
• Works collaboratively with internal and external partners and fosters a team environment to identify and manage innovative outcomes.
• Values diversity and seeks others’ ideas and leverages their strengths.
• Ensures accountability and high quality and accuracy of work.
• Fosters creative and innovative thinking within their teams and leverages experiences in other jurisdictions to stay ahead of the curve; demonstrates an understanding of external influences, trends in other jurisdictions and opportunities to improve policy or program service delivery.
• Creates a positive organizational work climate; leads through change and adversity, makes tough decisions when needed, builds consensus, motivates and encourages others.
• Ability to travel to offsite locations in a timely and efficient manner, as required.
• Ability to work outside regular business hours, as required.
How to Apply
Please apply on-line at www.york.ca by September 16, 2014, quoting competition #16454. We thank all candidates for their interest, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. For additional information on York Region, please visit the above-mentioned website.
$92,163 – $104,669 annually. This is a Non-Union position.
Employment Type: Full Time
Location: Newmarket, ON, CA
Posted on: 2014-09-13