OverviewStagecraft Assistant – Department of Theatre and Film in Winnipeg, MB
University of Winnipeg
Branch Winnipeg MB CA
Stagecraft Assistant – Department of Theatre and Film
*Sessional: Approximately October – April Annually The Theatre Department is looking for a dynamic candidate with training in stage production and the ability…
*Sessional: Approximately October – April Annually
The Theatre Department is looking for a dynamic candidate with training in stage production and the ability to work with and supervise students. The stagecraft assistant will work closely with the Production Coordinator and the Stagecraft Instructor to ensure the needs of the students are met in the lab and production settings.
- Assists the Stagecraft Instructor in preparing for labs.
- Assists with set ups, moves and checking equipment for use.
- Prepares and lays out materials for the current group of students.
- Assists the Stagecraft Instructor in managing and overseeing student activities in the lab.
- Ensures students handle the shop tools and materials safely.
- Supports students in the interpretation of drawings and plans to execute production tasks.
- Occasionally supervises students in labs independently when necessary.
- Observes records, assesses and advises the Stagecraft Instructor about student productivity in labs.
- Assists the Stagecraft Instructor in the regular maintenance of the shop and equipment.
- Assists in purchasing/maintaining Supplies
- Assists the Production Coordinator in the provision of class, lab and production supplies.
- Orders some of the regular supplies under the direction of the Technical Supervisor.
- Anticipates, plans and works with the Production Coordinator and the Stagecraft Coordinator to ensure lab and productions supplies are available for the student use
- Prepares student lab activities in the shop for the Stagecraft Instructor.
- Assists in planning for the all production scenic requirements.
- Assists the Stagecraft Instructor in selecting, packing and transporting required materials and tools for off-campus presentations at the Gas Station Theatre and other venues.
- Interacts with other faculty and suppliers in a professional manner.
- Other related duties as required or assigned.
- Minimum 2 years completed in an undergraduate university degree program with an emphasis in stagecraft and theatre production.
- Training in the use of shop equipment and power tools in a theatrical context.
- Ability to learn and acquire new skills efficiently.
- Ability to follow directions from Production Coordinator and Stagecraft Instructor.
- Ability to orally and verbally communicate effectively with colleagues, students and stakeholders. ecific training
- Knowledge of WHMIS materials and procedures.
- Experience in shop equipment maintenance is not required but would be an asset.
- Welding experience is an asset but not required.
- Three years’ experience with shop equipment in a theatrical context may be accepted in lieu of specific training.
An equivalent combination of education, experience and skills may be considered.
The Collective Agreement between The University of Winnipeg and The Association of Employees Supporting Education Services (AESES), Clause 6.3, Selection for Vacancy, states: The Employer agrees that Employees with seniority shall have preference in connection with appointments so far as it is practicable to do so, provided that their qualifications are relatively equal.
Note: The University of Winnipeg is committed to employment equity, welcomes diversity in the workplace, and encourages applications from all qualified individuals including women, members of visible minorities, aboriginal persons, and persons with disabilities. In accordance with Canadian immigration requirements, this advertisement is initially directed to Canadian citizens and permanent residents of Canada.
Employment Type: Full Time
Location: Winnipeg, MB, CA
Posted on: 2014-07-12