OverviewSmartCentres Assistant Manager, Property Accounting Full Time in Vaughan, ON
Branch Vaughan ON CA
Assistant Manager, Property Accounting
These are exciting times for Smart Real Estate Investment Trust (SmartREIT), one of the fastest growing fully integrated real estate organizations in Canada….
These are exciting times for Smart Real Estate Investment Trust (SmartREIT), one of the fastest growing fully integrated real estate organizations in Canada. Born of the merger of two leading companies, SmartREIT will be able to offer consumers over 30 million square feet of high quality, open format retail shopping centres from coast to coast. We are positioned for growth and are dedicated to continuing to provide Canadian consumers with the value-based shopping experience that they demand.
As a SmartREIT Associate, you will be working alongside some of the top real estate professionals in the industry in an exciting entrepreneurial environment that allows you to take ownership of your work and see projects through from concept to delivery. Our Associates exhibit the personal drive to challenge how we can make our success today even better tomorrow!
If you are ready to maximize your full potential, we are ready to ensure it happens.
• Career training and development opportunities
• Competitive compensation and incentive plans
• Comprehensive benefits package
• An engaging entrepreneurial people-focused culture
Title: Assistant Manager, Property Accounting
Reports to: Manager, Property Accounting
Department: Property Accounting
Oversee and supervise the Property Accountants that have primary responsibility for the individual property financial reporting and nurture the relationships within your area of responsibility and ensure that each member of the team understands his or her position, where they fit into the process, and assist in their growth and development.
The specific duties and responsibilities for this position include but are not limited to the following:
• Ensure all financial and management reporting, including budgets and cashflow forecasts required for project partners/co-owners is delivered accurately and on a timely basis;
• Ensure all accounting records related to all properties are kept up to date within guidelines established by generally accepted accounting principles and by SmartREIT and/or its partners/co-owners;
• Review preliminary month end financial statements and finalize any adjusting entries;
• Ensure cash that is surplus to the property is distributed to SmartREIT and/or its partners/co-owners on a timely basis and in accordance with projections;
• Review and approve final month end statements and reports accompanied with variance analysis of revenue and expenses;
• Ensure all month end and year-end working papers are accurate and complete;
• Review and approve tenant lease up schedules;
• Review and approve monthly rent roll. Review and approve all monthly rental charge notices;
• Monitor accounts receivable, and ensure adequate allowance for doubtful accounts. Ensure timely, accurate and complete tenant chargebacks. Ensure property tax billings, for tenants not billed monthly, are invoiced in accordance with the tenant leases and within 24 hours of receipt of the property tax bill;
• Review and approve all tenant query responses;
• Ensure that all development properties are transferred to income producing properties in accordance with accounting policies and review and approve amortization schedules and recurring journal entries;
• Ensure for all departing tenants that any unamortized costs are appropriately written off;
• Review all payable cheques, including monthly cash distributions, to ensure accuracy and properly approved;
• Review and approve that all CAM/tax recoveries are in accordance with the tenant leases and that all adjustment billings are performed within 120 days of year-end;
• Review and approve assigned budgets within assigned deadlines;
• Assist with all auditor requirements, including the company’s audit firm and all partners/co-owners audit firms, as well as government audits when required;
• Ensure timely, accurate and complete property management, leasing and disposition fees;
• Ensure that the accounting for all property acquisitions and dispositions are recorded accurately and on a timely basis and participate in the due diligence and statement of adjustment phases, as required;
• Continually monitor and review accounting processes and procedures and recommend changes as appropriate to improve internal controls and/or efficiencies.
• Any Ad-hoc projects, duties and assignments that may be contemplated by Senior Management in the future course of this role.
• Four-year Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting and enrolled in the 5th level of a Professional Accounting Designation (CA, CGA, CMA);
• Minimum four years experience in similar role or equivalent;
• Experience in managing an Accounting team of at least 2 people, within a real estate development organization with a proven track record of following through to achieve desired results;
• Good knowledge of accounting practices as applied to real estate development, property management, cash flow forecasting, and financial and management reporting;
• Good oral and written communication skills with the ability to effectively communicate across all levels within and outside of the organization;
• Intermediate to advance excel skills.
The Assistant Manager, Property Accounting, must be client focused, advocate and communicate a positive image of the company, both internally and externally. The Assistant Manager, Property Accounting, shall take accountability for decisions made and conduct oneself in a respectful and ethical manner in representing the company’s interests. The Assistant Manager, Property Accounting shall demonstrate entrepreneurialism and behave like an “owner” in carrying out daily tasks and responsibilities; demonstrating creativity and resourcefulness in achieving desired results. Assistant Manager, Property Accounting, is expected to be a team player and work effectively with colleagues and associates in terms of input, sharing of ideas and working to achieve common goal.
We are an equal opportunity employer committed to an inclusive and accessible recruitment and selection process. If you are contacted about an employment opportunity, please advise if you require accommodation.
Employment Type: Full Time
Location: Vaughan, ON, CA
Posted on: 2016-10-31