OverviewSI Systems Technical Writer Contract in Ottawa, ON
Branch Ottawa ON CA
Provide editorial advice to clients in order to improve quality of documentation. Our valued client in the financial sector is looking for a an Senior Technical…
Our valued client in the financial sector is looking for a an Senior Technical Writer for an initial 4 month contract, with high liklihood of extension.
The Technical Writer role requires a person with strong communication skills to develop, write and edit documents to support the companies applications and processes. The Technical Writer is expected to independently develop and design instructional and informational tools, user guides and other publications to support accurate, appropriate, and effective use of complex technology, intellectual property, processes, products and services. A combination of multimedia knowledge, strong communication skills, and demonstrated technical expertise are required in order to create supporting documentation that can educate across an entire spectrum of users’ abilities and technical experience.
- Write learning and performance support documents and presentation material to support complex applications and processes.
- Write, edit, standardize, or make changes to material prepared by other writers including editing graphics.
- Quality review work to be used as communications (content accuracy, clarity, proper grammar, tone and style, readability, and conformity to policies, procedures and guidelines).
- Provide editorial advice to clients in order to improve quality of documentation.
- Work with Subject Matter Experts (SME) to identify user needs and assist in prioritizing documentation needs.
- Observe production, developmental, and operational activities to determine operating procedure and detail.
- Develop an understanding of complex applications through a combination of training sessions, existing documentation, one-on-one sessions with SME or Developers and independently using the application.
- Identify and report documentation errors to SME or developer found during testing or editing.
- Provide clients with drafts at regular intervals for review and approval.
- Maintain understanding of applications and levels of user proficiency.
- Communicate with clients on a regular basis to clarify requirements and provide regular status updates.
- Create project documents to support project activities/tasks (i.e. Service Offering, Task List in Excel, Status Reports if required).
- Establish and follow file management standards (Work in progress, Under Review and Approved documents stored in central location to ensure proper backup techniques.
- Provide regular project status updates to Project Manager.
- Maintain effective relationships with peers on team and amongst key stakeholders. Develop broad understanding of the corporate systems and processes.
- Excellent Initiative
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Strong planning skills
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Demonstrate resourcefulness, initiative and attention to detail
- Strong customer insight to understand and interpret client needs
- Adaptable to changing environment – ability to handle changing work or project environments with composure and confidence
- Strong working knowledge of MS suite of products (MS Work and Excel in particular) + Sharepoint + graphics editing software
- Previous experience working in the financial or insurance industry is an asset
- Understanding of XML or other markup languages is an asset
- Understanding and application of DITA principles is an asset
- Ability to communicate in both official languages is an asset
Technical Writing certification/diploma
University degree in a related field, such as Journalism, Communications or English
and a minimum 5 years experience writing user and/or system documentation in an IT environment
Bilingualism is preferred
- Works independently and as part of a team
- Willing to work flexible hours
- Able to learn and troubleshoot complex user applications and document their usage
- Able to learn new technical writing or other software applications as needed
Specialization and Skills:
Digital Media and Innovation
5 – 7 years
At least 5 years experience writing user and/or system documentation in an IT environment, please describe (Must-have)
Technical Writing Certification or Diploma (Nice-to-have)
University degree in a related field, such as Journalism, Communications or English (Nice-to-have)
Valid Government of Canada Enhanced Reliability Clearance (Must-have)
Employment Type: Freelance
Location: Ottawa, ON, CA
Posted on: 2016-10-31