OverviewSherbourne Health Centre Mental Health Counsellor Contract in Toronto, ON
Sherbourne Health Centre
Branch Toronto ON CA
Mental Health Counsellor
We thank all applicants for their interest but only those selected for further consideration will be contacted….
Job Title: Mental Health Counsellor
Job ID #: MH 17-0201
Department: Mental Health
Reports To: Director, Infirmary and Mental Health
Affiliation/Union: UFCW, Local 175
Salary Range: CS4 – $57,509.87 – $71,354.84 per annum
Status: Full Time, 1 Year Contract
Hours: 37.5 hours per week
Sherbourne Health Centre is seeking an experienced Mental Health Counsellor to join our mental health team.
Sherbourne is a leading provider of quality health care and transformative support to people who face social, economic and other systemic barriers. Our mission is to advance the equity and quality of care and services and to improve health for underserved communities. This is done through primary health and chronic disease services; health promotion and education; outreach and social supports; and mental health services.
We are particularly committed to serving homeless or under-housed people, newcomers to Canada and the lesbian, gay, bisexual and trans (LGBT) communities. Our innovative programs include: the Rotary Club of Toronto Health Buses; an Infirmary for people who are homeless or precariously housed with an acute medical condition including cancer; the Supporting Our Youth program for at-risk LGBT youth; the LGBTQ Parenting Network; and Rainbow Health Ontario, a provincial education, research and capacity-building program.
We are presently looking for a Mental Health Counsellor to join our Mental Health team, with a particular focus on working with lesbian, gay, bisexual, trans and queer (LGBTQ) clients. The Mental Health counsellor will provide services and support to individuals, couples and families with a broad range of mental health, emotional health and substance use issues, including outreach, assessment, short term individual, couple, and family counselling, bridging case management and group work services. They will make the links between mental health and substance use problems, and trauma, violence, family or relationship issues, loss, coming out, and transitioning. This is an exciting opportunity to work as a member of an inter-disciplinary care team to develop and provide a diverse and varied service in a community based setting.
Qualifications & Skills:
- Masters degree in a health or social science discipline
- Current registration with the College of Registered Psychotherapists of Ontario or a relevant professional college that falls under the Regulated Health Professions Act
- At least 3 years direct service experience working with people marginalized by issues such as homophobia, transphobia, stigma, discrimination, poverty, violence, and homelessness,
- Experience as a therapist or counsellor working with people with mental health and/or substance use issues
- Extensive knowledge of, and direct service experience working with, trans and gender queer clients
- Excellent engagement and assessment skills
- Demonstrated knowledge and experience in facilitating groups
- Strong brief intervention skills such as solution focused and cognitive behavioral approaches
- Commitment to working within an anti-oppressive framework and demonstrated understanding of the links between trauma and mental health, emotional health and substance use problems
- Excellent knowledge of relevant community resources
- Ability to work effectively in a fully computerized office environment
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Ability to work in a language in addition to English is a definite asset.
We offer competitive compensation and participation in the Healthcare of Ontario Pension Plan (HOOPP).
As an employer, Sherbourne Health Centre is dedicated to building an organization that reflects the diversity of our clients and the communities we serve. This includes diversity in languages spoken, culture, race, sexual orientation and gender identity.
Application: If you are interested in this position, please forward a cover letter and resume quoting Job ID # MH 17-0201 by 5:00 pm, February 21, 2017 via the method below:
Visit our website at www.sherbourne.on.ca
We thank all applicants for their interest but only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.
Employment Type: Freelance
Location: Toronto, ON, CA
Posted on: 2017-02-10