OverviewSenior Policy and Strategic Initiatives Advisor in Newmarket, ON
Branch Newmarket ON CA
Senior Policy and Strategic Initiatives Advisor
Departmental corporate, strategic and business… the Commissioner’s Office and Departmental management in developing strategic fiscal policies; drafting…
Draw on your passion. Shape our community.
York Region is one of Canada’s fastest growing municipalities and as part of our diverse and highly engaged team, you’ll have the opportunity to work on innovative projects that foster economic vitality, further a sustainable environment, enhance our public services and promote a healthy community. York Region is an equal opportunity employer committed to an inclusive, barrier-free recruitment and selection process and as we grow, it’s important that our workforce reflect the citizens we serve. At the Region, we respect, encourage, and celebrate our diversity. If contacted for an employment opportunity, please advise if you require accommodation.
Reporting to the Head, Policy, Planning and Partnerships, is responsible for providing support and strategic advice to the Commissioner’s Office on economic, financial, public policy, and inter-governmental issues, Departmental corporate, strategic and business planning, and program and project development and implementation; providing quantitative analysis, research and advice to assist the Commissioner’s Office and Departmental management in developing strategic fiscal policies; drafting reports and other briefing products; leading or supporting the coordination, development and review of council reports and other major Department deliverables; developing and managing intra and inter-departmental and cross-functional linkages to support development and delivery of Departmental initiatives; and leading processes and project teams.
• Successful completion of a Master’s Degree in Economics, Public Policy, Public Administration, Business Administration, Social Sciences, Humanities, or related field or approved equivalent combination of education and experience.
• Minimum five (5) years’ experience in a public policy development sector with responsibilities in leading complex project initiatives, program/policy development, and issues management.
• Demonstrated experience in writing and reviewing analytical reports/studies, including ability to identify problems, research, analyze and interpret data, and make and defend evidence-based recommendations.
• Demonstrated knowledge of the Department’s policies, services, and initiatives.
• Demonstrated knowledge of Regional policy and fiscal decision-making frameworks and processes.
• Knowledge of provincial legislative, regulatory and policy framework and ability to interpret and translate into policy and program options for the Department.
• Demonstrated knowledge of financial, economic, public policy, and program and project development principles and practices.
• Demonstrated knowledge of contemporary research and evaluation methods, including writing detailed reports and proposals.
• Knowledge of and demonstrated ability in corporate core competencies including customer service, communication, team work, initiative/self-management and accountability, and flexibility/adaptability.
• Demonstrated analytical skills to analyze, synthesize and develop policy options, interpret legislation and complex reports, and develop recommendations for a wide range of initiatives.
• Demonstrated project management, leadership, and presentation skills to develop cross-functional internal and external partnerships.
• Excellent communication skills to prepare reports, background materials and presentations for senior management.
• Excellent organizational skills to lead or support project teams and manage work processes and systems.
• Proficiency in MS Office software applications as well as Internet research abilities.
• Ability to travel to off-site locations in a timely and efficient manner, as required.
• Ability to work outside regular business hours, as required.
8:30 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.
How to Apply
Please apply on-line at www.york.ca by September 22, 2014, quoting competition #16456. We thank all candidates for their interest, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. For additional information on York Region, please visit the above-mentioned website.
$45.65 – $49.61 per hour. This is a Union position.
Employment Type: Full Time
Location: Newmarket, ON, CA
Posted on: 2014-09-13