OverviewSCIC GIS Summer Student Temporary in Melville, SK
Branch Melville SK CA
GIS Summer Student
Basic understanding of agriculture policy and insurance principles. Demonstrates integrity with a focus on service excellence and innovation….
At SCIC, we’re helping keep Saskatchewan’s agriculture industry strong and it takes great people, working together as a community, to make it happen, Our values reflect who we are at SCIC. We value focusing on the producer, innovation, teamwork and community, accountability to ourselves and others and leadership at all levels.
Reporting to the Executive Director, Research and Development, this position is responsible for analysing corporate geospatial data, and providing GIS knowledge and support to the SCIC team. Working with the GIS Coordinator, the GIS summer student will perform a variety of activities for the creation of maps and reports, utilizing spatial and textual data; perform integrated geo-referenced database tasks and spatially oriented work.
WHAT YOU’LL DO:
- Collaborate with colleagues to develop procedures and tools based upon capturing imagery, analysing data and generating reports, maps and charts.
- Support front-line staff in performing acreage verification and assist staff in reading imagery.
- Make recommendations on GIS tools and strategies by analysing collected data and information.
- Prepare material for inquiries for information from internal and external customers.
- Research and prepare background material on GIS applications or enhancements for recommendations to management.
- Assist in writing policy and procedure manual pages on GIS, as well as training reference materials.
- Work with IT division and consultants to develop new GIS applications or enhancements to existing applications.
- Assist the Service Desk by troubleshooting operations related to GIS applications.
- Conduct spatial analysis using maps and data sets as well as prepare geographical statistical analysis and reports.
- Compile spatial data sets for a variety of sources, including insurance data, Global Position System (GPS) data, field observations, satellite images, drone images, and environmental monitoring data.
WHAT YOU’LL NEED:
The knowledge and skills required for this position are acquired through enrollment in a post-secondary program in Geomatics, Geography, Computer Science or a related discipline with some experience in conducting GIS functions. The successful candidate must be returning to school in the fall. Other qualifications include: Other qualifications include:
- Advanced understanding of principles and practices of GIS analysis and design.
- Advanced knowledge of statistical methods and their application to agricultural research.
- Basic understanding of agriculture policy and insurance principles.
- Superior investigative and analytical skills, with the ability to recognize and evaluate the implications and problems involved in integrating finding of studies into operational programs.
- Strong interpersonal and public relations skills, with a demonstrated ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with other employees and/or external stakeholders.
- Demonstrates integrity with a focus on service excellence and innovation.
- Forward thinking with the ability to proactively problem solve.
- Administrative skills such as project and team management, establishment of cost summaries, development of procedures and basic management principles.
- Communication skills including ability to prepare and present concise reports through various mediums to all stakeholders.
- Strong mathematical skills with an understanding of complex relational databases.
- Superior written and verbal communications skills as well as strong interpersonal and public relations skills.
- Superior computer skills with considerable experience with GIS software applications, databases, programming languages and web application.
WHAT WE’RE LOOKING FOR:
Service Excellence: Follows through on commitments and responds to inquiries, emails, requests and complaints in a timely fashion.
Personal Leadership and Development: Models integrity and inclusiveness by being open, acting with empathy, sharing resources/knowledge across teams and being respectful of all skills and viewpoints.
Strategic Thinking: Has a clear understanding of organizational objectives and aligns daily tasks to strategic goals.
Decision Making: Will move the decision making to the appropriate level when the decision is outside of the position scope.
Innovation: Seeks opportunities for innovation and continuous improvement.
Analytical Thinking: Asks pointed questions and does research to learn more about the issue .
Team Collaboration: Respects contributions of all team members, demonstrating cooperation and support for team decisions.
Building Organizational Community: Actively builds relationships by establishing respect, trust, support and understanding.
Communication: Seeks to understand through facts and information.
Accountability: Assumes responsibility for personal actions, behaviours and results.
Performance Management: Completes all assigned duties on a consistent basis with energy and drive.
Planning and Risk Management: Continually adapts priorities and responsibilities in response to changing needs.
The successful candidate must present a work ethic supporting our corporate values and Saskatchewan agriculture and should the successful candidate participate in the Crop Insurance or AgriStability Programs, their account must be in good standing.
Employment Type: Temporary
Location: Melville, SK, CA
Posted on: 2018-01-10