OverviewSchool District #8 (Kootenay Lake) 1.0 FTE Term Learning Support, Case Manager and Counselling Teacher Contract in Nelson, BC
School District #8 (Kootenay Lake)
Branch Nelson BC CA
1.0 FTE Term Learning Support, Case Manager and Counselling Teacher
Participate in case management training provided by the district; Participate in on-going professional development and develop a personal growth plan….
Hume Elementary School in Nelson, BC (part of the Nelson Family of Schools in School District #8) is a K-5 elementary school.
We are searching for a 1.0 FTE teacher to work collaboratively with our team of professionals in delivering a quality educational program to our students. The assignment will be working with classes in all grades as learning assistant teacher, case manager and counseling support.
Hume Elementary is a school with approximately 193 students in 8 divisions.
The awarded applicant will have recent demonstrated successful experience working collaboratively with school staff and is able to work closely with the school team and will be knowledgeable and able to work appropriately with students who have learning challenges.
Recent demonstrated, significant and successful experience with learning assistance and case managing is required for this specialized position.
The successful applicant will be innovative, creative, and demonstrate understanding of the BC Ed Plan and the district directions. He/she will be a person who is continually striving to improve pedagogy in a changing educational environment.
• Bachelor of Education (Elementary) with a specialization in special education, and/or a specialization in counseling and significant coursework in special education, as well as significant demonstrated successful experience teaching in special education, learning support, and counseling.
• A valid BC teaching certificate and current membership in the Teacher Regulation Branch.
Teachers applying for this position must possess the following attributes:
• Willingness to work closely with parents, school based teams and community partners
• Demonstrated ability to write effective IEP’s;
• Excellent planning skills with respect to IEP’s;
• Participate in case management training provided by the district;
• Ability to guide EAs with respect to Read by Three program and classroom supports;
• Knowledge of current instructional practices and curriculum IRP’s;
• Strong interpersonal, communication and collaboration skills;
• Knowledge of Restitution and EBS practices and theory or willingness to learn Restitution strategies;
• A demonstrated ability to work with colleagues to build support for and with staff and students;
• Good organizational skills and a demonstrated ability to be flexible
The ideal candidate will be expected to:
-work in an atmosphere of collaboration with staff to build consistency and quality of programs
-communicate effectively with staff and parents
-be familiar with the BC Ed plan, school district board goals and school goals
-implement school wide strategies to support the school board’s student expectations, school and class needs
-oversee student counseling needs
-oversee Read by Three program
-provide direct teaching support to all classes based on identified needs
-write and maintain records for Individual Education Plans in a collaborative team environment
-schedule EA’s to support the learning needs of the school and students
-participate in on-going professional development and develop a personal growth plan
-exhibit a thorough knowledge of current learning practices
-demonstrate expertise in use of authentic assessment strategies
-be inclusive of local community (volunteers and seniors for example)
-demonstrate a willingness to work collaboratively with others in developing school and district-based initiatives
-demonstrate knowledge of using technology to support student learning
For more information please contact Principal, Joanne Wilson Beddoes at [email protected] or 250-352-3186.
While we appreciate all applications, we will contact only those who have been shortlisted.
Employment Type: Freelance
Location: Nelson, BC, CA
Posted on: 2015-09-24