OverviewSchool District #57 (Prince George) Spareboard Secretary Full Time in Prince George, BC
School District #57 (Prince George)
Branch Prince George BC CA
Prince George, BC
Performs bookkeeping functions for SDS, petty cash, trust accounts, non-public and parent auxiliary funds (i.e. 35 hours a week….
POSITION NOTES: 35 hours a week
10 month position.
TITLE: SPAREBOARD SECRETARY
DEPARTMENT: Human Resources Department
REPORTS TO: Human Resources Officer
With minimal direction the Spareboard Secretary provides temporary clerical assistance to schools and district sites. The Spareboard Secretary provides secretarial, clerical, bookkeeping and reception duties for the school office and District work sites. He/she works cooperatively with other staff, students, parents and the public.
- Provides temporary clerical assistance to schools and district sites.
- Assists the school principal, by relieving him/her of routine administrative tasks including maintaining office procedures, organizing schedules, preparing agendas and materials for school staff and committee meetings, scheduling appointments and making arrangements for travel and special events.
- Performs bookkeeping functions for SDS, petty cash, trust accounts, non-public and parent auxiliary funds (i.e. collects cash, issues receipts, writes cheques, prepares cash statements, ensures balance of accounts, makes bank deposits, maintains all school accounts and reconciles monthly computer and bank statements). Calculates and balances financial accounts.
- Inputs information from a variety of source documents utilizing various computer programs.
- Relays messages and provides a variety of information and assistance to parents, students, the public and District staff by telephone or in person.
- Composes and types a variety of materials such as confidential reports, correspondence, memoranda, newsletters, requisitions and bulletins.
- Records and transcribes minutes of meetings for internal and departmental distribution.
- Prepares and processes forms such as purchase requisitions, fast pay purchase orders, purchase requisitions and cheque requisitions to ensure sufficient availability of supplies for office and teaching staff.
- Prepares, processes and maintains files and a variety of records, lists and reports such as permanent record cards, report cards, student registration, staff absentee forms, enrollment reports, accident reports and District manuals.
- Opens, screens and distributes incoming and outgoing mail.
- Receives and ensures the accuracy and condition of incoming orders and files discrepancy reports.
- Provides assistance to students and advises parents of injury or illness; performs assigned duties during fire/emergency drills.
- Duplicates, sorts, collates and staples materials.
- Performs other clerical or emergent duties.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, ABILITY, SKILLS (Spareboard Secretary)
- High school diploma or equivalent.
- One year post secondary secretarial school training or equivalent.
- Two to three years of specific experience or four years of general office experience.
- Keyboarding skills of 50 words per minute or proof of competency in keyboarding skills.
- Intermediate level word processing skills.
- Intermediate level bookkeeping skills equivalent to CNC Accounting 151 & 152.
- Basic knowledge of database and spreadsheet computer functions.
- Knowledge of Business English, punctuation, spelling and Business Math.
- Knowledge of office practices and procedures.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality.
- Ability to use courtesy and tact in the explanation of and discussion of information in contacts with public, parents, staff and students.
- Ability to perform individually and as part of a team.
- Ability to effectively communicate both verbally and in writing.
- Ability to plan and schedule work and organize the workload effectively.
- Ability to work with constant interruptions.
- Ability to maintain close attention to detail for periods of sustained duration and to meet deadlines.
TOOLS AND EQUIPMENT USED
Computer, photocopier, telephone, facsimile machine, typewriter, paper shredder, answering machine, calculator and other office related equipment.
- Sufficient vision to operate computer.
- Fundamental ability to operate equipment
- Manual dexterity.
Employment Type: Full Time
Location: Prince George, BC, CA
Posted on: 2017-03-31