OverviewRoyal Ontario Museum Makerspace Technician Part Time in Toronto, ON
Royal Ontario Museum
Branch Toronto ON CA
Completion of two (2) years of post-secondary training/education specializing in New Media, Design, Visual Arts is required, or a related program of study OR an…
The Royal Ontario Museum (ROM) has an immediate need for two (2) Technicians who will assist with maintaining equipment and suppliers in the Learning Department’s Makerspace.
· Set up, operate, and maintain safe operations of the ROM Makerspace equipment and tools by storing and labeling equipment and materials properly, and regularly cleaning and tidying work areas.
· Perform routine equipment checks to identify technical issues and do repairs to ensure the equipment is in good working order.
· Maintain an inventory of equipment, tools, and consumables, and order materials and supplies for programming.
· Provide assistance and instruction to staff, students, and teachers during school visits. Train staff to use the equipment and tools, and provide ongoing technical support.
· Involved with development of ROM Makerspace use guidelines with applicable departments, and enforce guidelines for the safe shared use of the space by staff. Contribute to the development and evaluation of creative learning activities and programs related to the ROM Makerspace.
· Maintain current knowledge of developments, trends, and issues in the maker community that would benefit the ROM Makerspace and enhance the learning environment. Assist with research to support the development and evaluation of creative learning activities and programs related to the ROM Makerspace.
· Perform other duties and responsibilities as assigned
$24.66 per hour (provisionally rated and subject to change) Qualifications · Completion of two (2) years of post-secondary training/education specializing in New Media, Design, Visual Arts is required, or a related program of study OR an acceptable equivalent in education and experience.
· Must have completed a minimum of one (1) year of work experience with digital fabrication equipment and maker tools (e.g., 3D printers, laser cutters, laser and inkjet printers, scanners), computers, tablets and coding, audio-visual equipment as well as artmaking processes (e.g., drawing, painting, sculpting, printmaking, textile art), and other basic shop and studio tools.
· Experience installing, operating, and performing routine repair and maintenance of digital fabrication equipment, audio-visual equipment, computers and tablets, and artmaking equipment in an educational setting.
· Working proficiency in audio-visual and design software, including CAD programs, Adobe Illustrator, Photoshop, Premiere, and Final Cut Pro. Working knowledge of computer programming and coding.
· Demonstrated experience working with students and teachers in a diverse and inclusive formal or informal learning environment, and supporting maker activities that promote design thinking, collaborative learning, and problem-based learning.
· Excellent oral and written communication skills, strong organizational and time management skills, and strong interpersonal skills to work collaboratively with a variety of roles at all levels.
· Oral and written fluency in French would be an asset
How to Apply START DATE: November 2016
UNION AFFILIATION: OPSEU Local 543 – Part-time
SALARY: $24.66 per hour ( provisionally rates and subject to change )
PROBATIONARY PERIOD: 420 hrs or 6 mths (whichever occurs first)
APPLY IN WRITING TO: Linda Knox, Human Resources & Organizational Development, Royal Ontario Museum, 100 Queen’s Park, Toronto, ON M5S 2C6; Fax #416-586-5827; (preferred) email: [email protected] – please quote Competition #2016-079 – Makerspace Technician in the subject line.
PRIOR TO 5PM ON: November 6, 2016
Employment Type: Part Time
Location: Toronto, ON, CA
Posted on: 2016-10-31