Employment Type: Full Time
Posted on: 2017-02-10
Roughrider International Ltd Health, Safety & Environmental Specialist Full Time in Fort McMurray, AB
Roughrider International Ltd
Branch Fort McMurray AB CA
Health, Safety & Environmental Specialist
Fort McMurray, AB
Conduct Health & Safety inspections, observation, audits and incident investigations; The role of the Health, Safety& Environmental Specialist is to be a key…
The role of the Health, Safety& Environmental Specialist is to be a key resource and specialist in Health, Safety & the environment by developing and carrying out procedures with the line organization that effectively control incidents and manage investigations. The position is responsible for company wide safety training programs. In addition, provide recommendations and assistance to the work site occupational health and safety committee and site leadership.
- Review existing EHS and training systems with a focus on continuous improvement.
- Ensure compliance with relevant laws and regulations;
- Provide guidance and recommendations to employees, management and leaders on EH&S initiatives and training programs;
- Remain current with knowledge on the provincial OH&S and WCB;
- Provide safety leadership training and mentoring of Safety Advisors and administrators on site;
- Play an active role in the development and implementation of active EH&S training for employees, supervisors and management;
- Track leading and lagging indicators such as safe work observations, audits, and FLRA’s and provide improvement strategies;
- Take a lead role in serious incident investigations, ensuring contributing factors are identified and corrective measures are implemented. Follow up on corrective actions to ensure they are completed;
- Develop and implement initiatives to reduce workplace injuries;
- Provide monthly reports that track and measure the effectiveness of the EHS systems and safety programs;
- Other duties as assigned.
- Ensure that Health and Safety is the number one priority by complying with all safe work practices, policies, and processes;
- Provide leadership and advice for maintaining workplace health & safety compliance;
- Conduct Health & Safety inspections, observation, audits and incident investigations;
- Assist and coach site management to perform safety functions;
- Assist with the effective and efficient implementation of corporate safety compliance program directives and provisions;
- Monitor and evaluate the effectiveness of safety processes and procedures;
- Interact with clients in an effective and professional manner;
- Establish a safety network with client safety departments and local governmental and regulatory officials and personnel.
Competencies, Skills and Qualifications:
- Proficient in the use of computers and software including the Microsoft Suite;
- A strong attention to detail;
- The ability to think logically and analyze complex problems;
- Time Management and Prioritizing skills;
- Strong oral and written communication skills;
- Strong interpersonal and teamwork skills;
- Post-Secondary Undergraduate degree in a safety related discipline or equivalent experience
- 5 or more years of field advisory experience in a Health and Safety Role;
- Good knowledge of the mining industry and safe work practices/procedures;
- Good knowledge of OH&S regulations.
- Proven track record of successfully managing employees.
- NCSO designation; OH&S; Accident Investigation; WHMIS Train the Trainer; A&D Supervisor Awareness; Auditor Certified and 1st Aid are required.
- Class 5 driver’s license with a clean 5 – year driver’s abstract;
- Previous oilfield, industrial or refinery experience preferred;
- Strong communication and people skills.
Job Type: Full-time
- Previous oilsand, industrial or refinery: 5 years
Required licenses or certifications:
- Accident Investigation
- AUDITOR CERTIFIED
- First Aid
- OSSA Regional Orientation
- A&D SUPERVISOR AWARENESS
- WHMIS TRAIN THE TRAINER
- Drivers License (Class 5)