OverviewRegional Recreation Corporation of Wood Buffalo Ice Operator – Curling Operator Part Time in Fort McMurray, AB
Regional Recreation Corporation of Wood Buffalo
Branch Fort McMurray AB CA
Ice Operator – Curling Operator
Fort McMurray, AB
This position may require travel between our various facilities within the Wood Buffalo Region. Valid Class 5 Alberta Driver’s License….
Under the direction of the Arena Supervisor, the Ice Operator/Curling Operator maintains the ice surface, maintains cleans recreation facilities, and operates related equipment. The Ice Operator/Curling Operator provides leadership in the daily operation of making, maintaining and improving the entire ice surface.
Responsibilities: DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Provide a plan and timeline for installation of the ice surface in accordance with the Regional Recreation Corporation of Wood Buffalo (RRC) and Curling Clubs requirements.
- Provide quality and consistent ice surface
- Keep the ice keen, free of ice damage.
- Ensure the ice is kept clean and free of debris by scraping all areas of the ice including areas identified as non-playing areas at least once per day.
- Hand scrape and remove all debris from rock beds and from under the rocks at least once per day (hot mopping as required).
- Ice maintenance/cleaning equipment such as scrapers, brushes, etc should be stored in their designated area off the floor and out of the way of all exits and entrances
- Monitor and do minor maintenance on refrigeration system
- Work with organizers of Bonspiels
- Ability to do all functions pertaining to curling ice/ice maintenance (hand shaves, vacuuming, pebbling, spot repairs to ice, minor refrigeration repairs)
- Report any changes in ice conditions to the Director, Facilities Management or the Operations Supervisor.
- Enforce all rules and regulations regarding public health and safety;
- Ensure facilities are locked and secured when not in use.
- Remove ice at the end of the curling season, including putting away of dividers, curling rocks, and all ice making equipment
- Other duties as required.
- Completion of high school
- First Aid/CPR/AED certificate and WHMIS
- Level II Arena Operator RFP
Essential Skills and Experience:
- Minimum of two years’ related experience in ice making, janitorial and facilities maintenance.
- Demonstrated ability to operate related equipment safely and efficiently.
- Good physical condition and able to perform heavy manual labour.
- Ability to work independently and to accomplish tasks and assignments.
- Ability to deal effectively with co-workers and the public.
- Good written and oral communication skills.
- Valid Class 5 Alberta Driver’s License.
Desirable Skills and Experience:
- Level II Ice Technician Certificate or equivalent
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS &WORKING CONDITIONS :
- This is a physically strenuous position. The incumbent will be expected to lift, carry and manage equipment and supplies.
- The incumbent may be required to lift between 20-50 lbs and demonstrate manual dexterity to operate ice maintenance equipment.
- He/she will work 12 hour shifts on a rotating schedule. Hours of work will vary.
- The working environment tends to be busy and noisy.
- This position may require travel between our various facilities within the Wood Buffalo Region. Access to reliable transportation is necessary.
POSITION(S) REPORTING TO/CONTACTS:
All employees are responsible and accountable for MacDonald Island Parks’ health and safety policy. All employees at every level should be familiar with the requirements of the Alberta Occupational Health and Safety legislation as it relates to their work processes.
The employee is expected to adhere to all company policies and to act as a role model in the adherence to policies. These statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work involved for this job. It is not an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of this job.
Employment Type: Part Time
Location: Fort McMurray, AB, CA
Posted on: 2016-09-21