OverviewRegion of Waterloo Officer, Municipal Law Enforcement Full Time in Waterloo, ON
Region of Waterloo
Branch Waterloo ON CA
Officer, Municipal Law Enforcement
Skill in the operation of a personal computer with knowledge of incident management software and other software packages such as Microsoft Office….
Performs enforcement and inspection duties related to Regional licensing by-laws for taxi, special transportation services, limousine, second hand shops and dealers, salvage shops and yards
Also performs enforcement of the following Regional by-laws for receiving, dumping and disposal of waste, waste collection – curbside pick-up, special events, code of use, filming events, work permits, conservation of trees, sewer use, supply and distribution of water, outdoor water use and signs
Acts as Regional Weed Inspector and enforces the Noxious Weed Act.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities Required:
• Knowledge of principles and practices of law enforcement normally acquired through post secondary diploma in Police Foundations or Law and Security, plus 2 years of related municipal law enforcement experience.
• Extensive knowledge of court procedures and how to present evidence.
• Knowledge of Regional policies, practices, and procedures, as well as related legislation.
• Must be aware of police protocols and policies surrounding radio use.
• Analytical problem solving, organizational skills in order to find, interpret and verify information; identify problems and their causes, generate workable solutions, and make rational judgments; prioritize and prepare work activities setting realistic time lines; retrieve and analyze information quickly.
• Ability to maintain professional standards, follow directions from supervisor, and respect policies and procedures, show commitment to the organization and task completion; remain calm and have self-controlled under pressure, react well to change, stay positive despite setbacks; keep difficulties in perspective, achieve results, and willingly tackle demanding tasks.
• Daily contact with diverse populations requires human relations, persuasion, negotiation, and communication skills in order to handle controversial situations, promote a cooperative spirit between the public and enforcement officers, and participate as an effective team member.
• A valid Class “G” driver’s license and a clear Driver’s Abstract is required in order to operate a Regional vehicle.
• Skill in the operation of a personal computer with knowledge of incident management software and other software packages such as Microsoft Office.
• Valid C.P.R. and First Aid.
• Must provide an acceptable Vulnerable Sector Screen to ensure suitability for working with vulnerable populations.*
• Ability to support and project values compatible with the organization.
• Ability to read and interpret various by-laws, provincial acts and federal statutes, to remain up-to-date with changes in laws or acts, to explain them to the public, or to properly enforce them.
• Ability to write clearly, and concisely; take accurate notes and maintain a memo book; complete will says and take statements; conduct interviews; present evidence in court and hearings; prepare crown briefs; serve summons, subpoenas, orders and other legal documents; complete warnings, provincial offence tickets, and summons; complete inspection, occurrence and incident reports and; swear to court documents
• Liaises with local police, other by-law enforcement offices, public and private agencies.
Please apply online, by the closing date Feb 06, 2017 quoting competition number 2017-1070 , or drop off your resume to the Region of Waterloo, Citizen Service Associate desk located on the main floor at 150 Frederick Street, Kitchener, ON N2G 4J3.
Employment Type: Full Time
Location: Waterloo, ON, CA
Posted on: 2017-01-25